How Does Radon-222 Impact Indoor Air Quality?

In summary, radon-222 is a naturally occurring gas produced by the radioactive decay of uranium found in rock and soil. It has a half-life of 3.82 days and can seep into the atmosphere, reaching activity levels of 0.3 pCi/L. In enclosed spaces, such as homes, it can accumulate to levels as high as 4.00 pCi/L. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, action should be taken to reduce radon levels if they exceed 4.00 pCi/L. To convert from pCi/L to becquerels per cubic meter (Bq/m3), the activity of 4.00 pCi/L is equal to 148 Bq/m3
figureskater
Radioactivity of Radon 222!

Homework Statement

Uranium is naturally present in rock and soil. At one step in its series of radioactive decays, Uranium produces the chemically inert gas radon-222, with a half-life of 3.82 days. The radon seeps out of the ground to mix into the atmosphere, typically making open air radioactive with activity 0.3 pCi/L. In homes, Rn-222 can be a serious pollutant, accumulating to reach much higher activities in enclosed spaces, sometimes reaching 4.00 pCi/L. If the radon radioactivity exceeds 4.00 pCi/L, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency suggests taking action to reduce it such as by reducing infiltration of air from the ground.
(a) Convert the activity 4.00 pCi/L to units of becquerels per cubic meter.
148 Bq/m3

(b) How many Rn-222 atoms are in 1 m3 of air displaying this activity?
7.05e7 atoms/m3

(c) What fraction of the mass of the air does the radon constitute?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

volume fraction= #of atoms/ # of air molecules
# of air molecules = density of air x volume / average molecular weight of air, this answer then multiplied by avogadro's number (6.0221415e23)

=(0.00122521)(1m^3)/28.96 g/mol *6.0221415e23
=2.55e25

=7.05e7/2.55e25
=2.76e-18

To which I got a comment that my response was within 10% of the correct answer. Not sure if I missed something or did not convert units somewhere..

Please help! its due TONIGHT by midnight thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

First off, try putting the entire calculation into one equation. Standard procedure should always be to solve the problem symbolically with calculations in the end unless the problem is long/tedious enough to justify calculations in the middle of the solving process. But in that case you should save the value so you don't lose data that could make an answer round down instead of up. In other words, don't use rounded numbers in your calculations.

Secondly, you might also be using the wrong density for air. As its density is temperature and pressure dependent, perhaps using the air density in STP conditions would give the correct answer.

Using the STP density for air with the other value from B I got an answer within 10% of yours.

Last edited:

Related to How Does Radon-222 Impact Indoor Air Quality?

1. What is radon 222?

Radon 222, also known as Rn-222, is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that is produced by the decay of uranium in rocks and soil.

2. Why is radon 222 dangerous?

Radon 222 is dangerous because it is a source of ionizing radiation, which can damage cells and DNA in the body. Prolonged exposure to high levels of radon 222 can increase the risk of lung cancer.

3. How does radon 222 enter homes?

Radon 222 can enter homes through cracks and gaps in the foundation, as well as through well water and building materials. It can also seep through the soil and enter through the basement or crawl space.

4. How can I test for radon 222 in my home?

You can test for radon 222 in your home by purchasing a radon testing kit or hiring a professional to conduct a test. The most common method is a short-term test, which involves leaving a test kit in the lowest level of your home for 2-7 days.

5. How can I reduce radon 222 levels in my home?

If your home has high levels of radon 222, you can reduce the levels by sealing cracks and openings in the foundation, installing a radon mitigation system, and ensuring proper ventilation in your home. It is important to consult a professional for the best course of action.

Back