How Does Radial Density Variation Affect Gravity on a Sphere's Surface?

• Thread starter nns91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the problem involves two spheres, S1 and S2, with equal radii and masses. The density of S1 is constant, while the density of S2 varies with radial distance. The question asks for the acceleration of gravity at the surface of S2, given that the acceleration at the surface of S1 is g1. The formula g=GM/R may be relevant, but it is unclear which variable should be solved for first.
nns91

Homework Statement

1. Two spheres S1 and S2, have equal radii R, and equal masses M. The density of sphere S1 is constant, whereas that of sphere S2 depends on the radial distance according to p(r)= C/r. If the acceleration of gravity at the surface of sphere is g1, what is the acceleration of gravity at the surface of sphere S2 ?

Homework Equations

g=GM/R

The Attempt at a Solution

1. SO I cannot recall any relationship between acceleration and all the givens. Can you guys give me a hint on what equation, formula should I use ? What should I find first ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the problem is more complicated than this, but...
Isn't the acceleration of gravity the same for both spheres, since they have equal masses?

I am not sure. Anyone ? What do formula should I use here ?

Related to How Does Radial Density Variation Affect Gravity on a Sphere's Surface?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for holding objects on Earth.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attraction. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why the Earth's gravity is stronger than that of the moon, as the Earth has a larger mass.

3. What causes gravity?

Gravity is a force that results from the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. This theory, known as Einstein's theory of general relativity, explains that objects with mass cause a distortion in the fabric of space-time, which causes other objects to be pulled towards them.

4. Is there a way to escape gravity?

Yes, there are ways to escape gravity. The only known way to escape the Earth's gravity is by achieving escape velocity, which is the minimum speed required to break free from the Earth's gravitational pull. This can be achieved through rocket propulsion.

5. Can gravity be turned off?

No, gravity cannot be turned off. It is a fundamental force of nature and is always present. However, the effects of gravity can be reduced by increasing the distance between objects or by reducing their masses.