How Does Projectile Motion Work When a Ball is Thrown from a Cliff?

In summary, the ball is thrown from a 10 m high cliff with an initial velocity of 4 m/s at a 31° angle above the horizontal. To find the time it takes to land, the equation -10 = 4sin(31)t - 0.5gt2 can be used, and the quadratic formula can be used to solve for t. To find the distance from the base of the cliff, the equation d = vit + 0.5at2 can be used, with the time value obtained from part a). To find the maximum height above the base of the cliff, the equation y = (v0sin(θ))t - 0.5gt2 can be used, with the
wolves5
A ball is thrown from the brink of a cliff 10 m high with an initial velocity of v0 = 4 m/s at an angle q0 = 31° above the horizontal.

a) How long does it take to land?
I did 4sin(31)-.5(-9.8)t^2, but that is not the right answer.

b) How far from the base of the cliff does it land?
I might be able to solve this one if I knew the time from part a. Can I just use d=vit + 0.5at^2?
c) What is its maximum height above the base of the cliff?
I don't know what to do for this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a) the ball has to travel 10 meters in the opposite direction of the initial velocity. If we define up as positive, then we get

-10 = 4sin(31)t - 0.5gt2

using the quadratic formula to solve for t will give you the time.

Try b) once you have the time for a).

For c) there are several ways to approach this. The velocity at the top of the trajectory has a vertical velocity of 0. Using this fact, you should be able to solve for the height.

I got a and b. For c, I used the equation: y=(vosin(theta))t -0.5gt^2. I did (4sin(31)(1.654) - 0.5(-9.81)(1.654^2). But its not the right answer. I don't know which equation to use know.

wolves5 said:
I got a and b. For c, I used the equation: y=(vosin(theta))t -0.5gt^2. I did (4sin(31)(1.654) - 0.5(-9.81)(1.654^2). But its not the right answer. I don't know which equation to use know.

That would be right if you used the right value for time. So how did you get 1.654 s for the time?

I used the time from part a. Isn't that right?

The time for part a is the time it takes to reach the ground. You need the time it takes for the ball to reach zero vertical velocity.

Would that be 2.5 seconds? I did Distance / Velocity. (10/4=2.5 sec). When I plugged that in, I didnt get the right answer.

Well, you have an initial vertical velocity of 4sin(31). You have an acceleration of -9.81m/s2. You can simply use a = (v2-v1)/t to solve for time.

Ok I did that and got 0.4082 seconds as my time. Then I did 4sin(31)(0.4082) - 0.5(-9.81)(0.4082^2). I got 0.02365m, but that's not right.

How did you get 0.4082 seconds?

I used the equation you gave me. a = (v2-v1)/t

So -9.8=(0-4)/t. I got t=0.4082 seconds

Notice that throughout the discussion, I always use vertical velocity. Gravity only acts in the vertical direction. You need to use 4sin(31) instead of 4.

Ok. So I did that and I got 0.210 seconds. Then I plugged it into the equation: 4sin(31)(0.210)-0.5(-9.81)(0.210^2). I got 0.649m, but that's not right.

The equation for distance of a uniformly accelerated object is

d = v0t + 0.5at2

we normally write the second term as -0.5gt2 because we take gravity as negative. You essentially did that twice for your equation. Switch the sign of the second term and it should give you the proper answer. (Don't forget to add the distance to the bottom of the cliff.)

Related to How Does Projectile Motion Work When a Ball is Thrown from a Cliff?

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is launched into the air and follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity. Examples of projectiles include balls, arrows, and cannonballs.

2. How does height affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The height at which a projectile is launched affects the trajectory by altering the initial velocity and angle of launch. The higher the launch point, the longer the projectile will stay in the air and the farther it will travel.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of launch and the distance traveled by a projectile?

The angle of launch determines the distance a projectile will travel. The maximum distance is achieved when the projectile is launched at a 45 degree angle.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the motion of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its trajectory. This is especially noticeable for projectiles with a larger surface area, such as feathers or paper, compared to smaller and more aerodynamic objects.

5. What is the relationship between the mass of a projectile and its trajectory?

The mass of a projectile does not affect its trajectory, as long as the air resistance and initial velocity are the same. This is known as the principle of equivalence of mass and is demonstrated by Galileo's famous experiment of dropping objects of different masses from the Tower of Pisa.