How Does Physics Impact Modern Medical Practices?

In summary: I appreciate the time and effort that you put into this. In summary, if you are looking for your future career, you should consider a major in medical physics or biomedical engineering. You can find opportunities to get involved in research by doing an undergraduate degree in either field.
Tyler28
Just a few questions I'm looking for my future career decisions anything would be more than helpful, I'm only a freshman as of now.
first off, what major ways does physics influence the medical field?
second, what engineering influences are there in typical medical practice?
last, how can one get more involved with the development of medical engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tyler28 said:
Just a few questions I'm looking for my future career decisions anything would be more than helpful, I'm only a freshman as of now.
first off, what major ways does physics influence the medical field?
second, what engineering influences are there in typical medical practice?
last, how can one get more involved with the development of medical engineering?

Did you try to find this for yourself? I mean, Google is at your fingertips.

I entered "what major ways does physics influence the medical field?" exactly as the way you typed it, and one of the first results I get was this:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/02841860802244158

I suspect that you will get the same type of results if you try all your other questions. There is very little excuse to ask a question cold nowadays.

Zz.

Likes berkeman
ZapperZ said:
Did you try to find this for yourself? I mean, Google is at your fingertips.

I entered "what major ways does physics influence the medical field?" exactly as the way you typed it, and one of the first results I get was this:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/02841860802244158

I suspect that you will get the same type of results if you try all your other questions. There is very little excuse to ask a question cold nowadays.

Zz.
ya I did I am just looking for more personal experiences though, from people in that field of study

Those are pretty broad questions, so it's tough to answer without narrowing things down a little.

You might want to start by looking up the fields of medical physics and biomedical engineering. Both physics and engineering have had and will continue to have major impacts on the medical field for years to come. Some major examples include:
- radiation therapy
- medical imaging (CT, MRI, PET, SPECT, ultrasound, mammography, etc.)
- nuclear medicine
- process engineering and control theory
- modeling disease progression and response
- nanomaterial design and fabrication
- human factors engineering

There are a lot of avenues toward getting involved. Most start with an undergraduate degree in either physics or engineering. While you're doing that, you can look for opportunities to get involved in research that you find interesting. The further you go academically, the more opportunities there are.

Likes berkeman and Tyler28
Choppy said:
Those are pretty broad questions, so it's tough to answer without narrowing things down a little.

You might want to start by looking up the fields of medical physics and biomedical engineering. Both physics and engineering have had and will continue to have major impacts on the medical field for years to come. Some major examples include:
- radiation therapy
- medical imaging (CT, MRI, PET, SPECT, ultrasound, mammography, etc.)
- nuclear medicine
- process engineering and control theory
- modeling disease progression and response
- nanomaterial design and fabrication
- human factors engineering

There are a lot of avenues toward getting involved. Most start with an undergraduate degree in either physics or engineering. While you're doing that, you can look for opportunities to get involved in research that you find interesting. The further you go academically, the more opportunities there are.
Thank you, that is more helpful than you know!

Related to How Does Physics Impact Modern Medical Practices?

What is the role of physics in the medical field?

Physics plays a crucial role in the medical field by providing a deeper understanding of the physical principles and laws that govern the human body. It also helps in the development of medical technologies and treatments.

How does physics contribute to medical imaging?

Medical imaging techniques such as X-rays, MRI, and CT scans all rely on the principles of physics to produce images of the human body. For example, X-rays use ionizing radiation to produce images of bones and other dense tissues, while MRI uses magnetic fields and radio waves to create detailed images of soft tissues.

Can you give an example of how physics is used in medical treatments?

One prominent example is the use of radiation therapy in cancer treatment. By using high-energy radiation, physicists can precisely target and destroy cancer cells while minimizing damage to healthy tissue. Physics is also used in medical devices such as pacemakers, which use electrical impulses to regulate heartbeats.

What is the future of physics in the medical field?

The future of physics in the medical field is promising, with ongoing research and advancements being made in areas such as nanomedicine, regenerative medicine, and personalized medicine. These developments have the potential to revolutionize disease diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.

How can learning about physics benefit someone interested in pursuing a career in the medical field?

Studying physics can provide a strong foundation for understanding the scientific principles behind medical concepts and technologies. It can also enhance critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are essential for a successful career in the medical field.