How Does Particle Spacing Affect SPH Simulations of Seismic Behavior?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with reproducing results from a paper using a MATLAB script, and various solutions are suggested such as adjusting particle spacing, introducing CSPM corrections, and using a different kernel function. Recommendations are also given to check boundary conditions and reach out to the paper's authors for further input.
CarlFaberge
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to solve the following Problem:
cf0z9rt6arnye9dn0.gif

(taken from "SPH simulation for seismic behavior of Earth structures" - Y.Ono et. al)

To this end, I wrote a small MATLAB skript, to be found here. The paper presents results at t=10s and t=20s:
cf0zdmx4adt9ou8ng.gif

which my solution reproduces quite accurately if i set kh (the ratio from particle spacing to smoothing length) to 1:
cf0zgcm29jkbp2czw.gif

(snapshot taken at t=20)

However, as soon as I increase kh the solution quickly deteriorates:
cf0zi4i2ojzjt7618.gif

(kh=2, snapshot taken at t=5).

Currently, I think that this is due to the boundary deficiency of SPH. That is, increasing h will lead to larger deficient boundary regions like so:
cf0zn5q0qf96qqlvw.gif

cf0zngcvzzyu6dglo.gif

reconstruction of the derivative of a sine function, top with kh = 2, bottom with kh=8. Code.

I already tried to:
- assign densities according to
7b622d669cbc463c46aee50d6a54de51.png

- adapt h according to h_p = h_init*(rho_init/rho_p), using the densities computed with the formula above
- introduce CSPM corrections (even though the paper clearly states that the problem should be solvable employing "vanilla" sph only).

I would be very grateful for any input.

PS: I hope this is the right subforum

EDIT: In case anybody was wondering about the kernel

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
used, it is the Gaussian kernel with compact support.

Hi there,

First of all, great job on writing the MATLAB script and reproducing the results from the paper! It's always exciting to see someone actively working on solving scientific problems.

Now, onto your question. It seems like you have already tried a few different approaches to improve the accuracy of your solution, such as adjusting the particle spacing and introducing CSPM corrections. This is definitely a good start, and it shows that you are thinking critically about the problem.

One potential solution could be to use a different kernel function that has better boundary properties, such as the cubic spline kernel or the quintic spline kernel. These kernels have a smoother transition at the boundary and may help to reduce the boundary deficiency that you are observing.

Another approach could be to increase the number of particles in your simulation. This would result in a higher resolution and potentially improve the accuracy of your solution.

I would also recommend checking your boundary conditions and making sure they are properly incorporated into your simulation. Sometimes, boundary conditions can be a source of error in simulations.

Lastly, I would suggest reaching out to the authors of the paper and asking for their input. They may have some insights or suggestions based on their experience with the problem.

Best of luck and keep up the good work!

Related to How Does Particle Spacing Affect SPH Simulations of Seismic Behavior?

1. What is SPH and how does it relate to elastic waves?

SPH stands for Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics, and it is a numerical method used to simulate fluid and solid dynamics. It is particularly useful for modeling elastic waves because it can accurately capture the behavior of materials under large deformations and high strain rates.

2. How does SPH work to simulate elastic waves?

SPH works by dividing a continuous medium into discrete particles, which interact with each other based on their position and velocity. These interactions are modeled using mathematical equations, allowing for the simulation of complex behaviors such as elastic waves.

3. What are the advantages of using SPH for elastic wave simulations?

One of the main advantages of using SPH for elastic wave simulations is that it can handle large deformations and high strain rates, which are common in many real-world scenarios. Additionally, SPH can accurately capture the behavior of materials with complex geometries and boundary conditions.

4. Are there any limitations to using SPH for elastic wave simulations?

While SPH is a powerful tool for simulating elastic waves, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it can be computationally expensive, especially for large-scale simulations. Additionally, SPH may not be as accurate as other numerical methods for certain types of materials and wave phenomena.

5. How is SPH being used in current research on elastic waves?

SPH is being used in a variety of research areas related to elastic waves, including earthquake and landslide simulations, impact and blast loading on structures, and fluid-structure interactions. It is also being used to study the behavior of materials under extreme conditions, such as in hypervelocity impact experiments.

Back