How Does Particle Motion in a Negative Inverse Square Potential Evolve?

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle of mass m moving in a potential V(r) = -b/r^2 and obtaining the equation r = r(\phi) for the trajectory for particular states of motion with total energy E = 0 and angular momenta such that \frac{L^2}{2m} < b. The trajectory is sketched and the motion is discussed for \dot{r} (t=0) >0 and \dot{r} (t=0) <0. The relation between phi and r is given by \phi = L \int \frac{1}{r^2 \sqrt{2m(E - V_{e} (r))}} dr + \mbox{
stunner5000pt
For a particle of mass m moving in a potential V(r) = -b/r^2 where the constant b>0 obtain the equation [itex] r = r(\phi} [/itex] of the trajectory for the particular states of motion with total energy E = 0 and angular momenta such that [itex] \frac{L^2}{2m} < b [/itex]
SKetch the trajectory and discuss the motion for
[tex] \dot{r} (t=0) >0 [/tex] and
[tex] \dot{r} (t=0) <0 [/tex]

Ok so we know that phi and r are related by this equation
[tex] \phi = L \int \frac{1}{r^2 \sqrt{2m(E - V_{e} (r))}} dr + \mbox{constant} [/tex]
here [tex] V_{e} (r) = \frac{-b}{r^2} + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2} [/tex]
also E = 0 so
[tex] \phi = L \int \frac{1}{r^2 \sqrt{2m(\frac{b}{r^2} + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2}}} [/tex]

and integrating we get
[tex] C exp(\phi \frac{\sqrt{2mb - \frac{L^2}{2m}}}{L}}) = r(\phi) = r [/tex]

so far so good?

for the second part
[tex] \dot{r}(t) = \frac{1}{r} \sqrt{\frac{2}{m} (b - \frac{L^2}{2m}} [/tex]
do i need to find explicit expression for r(t) and phi(t) ?
for r' > 0 then r > 0 and phi > 0
for r' < 0 from the relation between r and phi above it does nt look like that could ever be less that zero unless C <0? Do i need to solve for C by the way?

YOur help is always, greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
heres the sketch that is missing from the question

thank you for your help!

Attachments

• charge.JPG
    charge.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 384
can anyone help!

this is due tomorrow! I need to know if what i have is right... please please help! I am desperate!
Note that i posted it about 4 days in advance

Related to How Does Particle Motion in a Negative Inverse Square Potential Evolve?

1. What is the equation of motion sketch?

The equation of motion sketch is a graphical representation of the relationship between position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time. It shows how these variables change over time and can be used to predict the future motion of the object.

2. How is the equation of motion sketch useful?

The equation of motion sketch is useful because it allows us to understand the motion of an object and make predictions about its future movement. It can also help us analyze the behavior of different physical systems and determine the effects of external forces.

3. What are the key components of an equation of motion sketch?

The key components of an equation of motion sketch include the time axis, position axis, velocity axis, acceleration axis, and the plotted lines or curves that represent the change in these variables over time.

4. How can the equation of motion sketch be used to solve problems?

The equation of motion sketch can be used to solve problems by providing a visual representation of the motion of an object and allowing us to analyze the behavior of the object over time. This can help us determine the initial conditions, such as the object's starting position and velocity, and use them to find the equations of motion and solve for unknown variables.

5. Can the equation of motion sketch be used for all types of motion?

Yes, the equation of motion sketch can be used for all types of motion, including linear, circular, and projectile motion. It is a versatile tool that can be applied to different physical systems to understand and predict their behavior.