How does one get the solution to the differential equation for SHM?

In summary, the solution to the simple harmonic motion equation is x = A cos (wt + ∅), which is derived by guessing and checking or by using more advanced mathematical concepts such as eigenvectors.
mahrap
I understand the derivation for the simple harmonic motion equation:

F = -kx ( in a 1-D case)

acceleration = x''(t) = (-k/m)x

so x''(t) + (k/m)x = 0

But why is the solution to this equation

x = A cos (wt + ∅ )

How does one come up with this solution? I tried understanding this by reading my textbook however I get very confused. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think initially

ei k θ

Is the real basis of the solution.

That's because e^x is its own derivative.

Euler's equation relates e^i theta to sin and cos functions hence the solution you see.

You basically guess that the solution is an exponential because of the form of the DE. So something along the lines of A_e^-wx+B_e^wx, and then you discover that w is complex and you rewrite those complex exponentials into sines and cosines with eulers equation.

mahrap said:
How does one come up with this solution?
Guess and check. Unfortunately, that is one of the most effective ways of coming up with solutions to differential equations. Computers can be helpful with that, they aren't as good at the guessing part, but they can do the checking part very quickly.

@mahrap: You don't have to guess. If you enjoy eigenvectors and all that stuff, then it follows naturally. But if you are learning this the first time, then maybe it is too long a detour. That is probably why your textbook is giving a weird explanation. They want to reassure you that there is a proper way to get the answer, but it would take up too much writing to actually explain it.

Related to How does one get the solution to the differential equation for SHM?

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion. It is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and is directed towards the equilibrium point.

2. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. In the context of SHM, it is used to describe the motion of a system over time.

3. How do I obtain the solution to a differential equation for SHM?

The general solution to a differential equation for SHM can be obtained by using the equation x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. The specific values for these parameters can be determined by solving the initial value problem, which involves using the given initial conditions to solve for the constants.

4. What are the steps in solving a differential equation for SHM?

The steps for solving a differential equation for SHM include: 1) Writing the equation in standard form, 2) Identifying the values for A, ω, and φ, 3) Solving the initial value problem, 4) Substituting the values into the general solution, and 5) Simplifying the solution if necessary.

5. Can the solution to a differential equation for SHM be verified?

Yes, the solution can be verified by substituting it back into the original differential equation. If the solution satisfies the equation, then it is correct. Additionally, the solution can be graphed to visually confirm that it represents SHM.