How does one become Tony Stark? (the Engineer, not the Iron

In summary: You could go to a technical school, learn from online resources, or even take a class in a specific area. But the important thing is to start somewhere and keep moving forward.
Ryan McCarty
If you were starting with no applicable background, no engineering degree, nothing except for a lot of free time and a moderate amount of money to spend, how would you become Tony Stark? No limits on time, whether it's 6 months or 60 years, how would you go from Joe the VCR clock programmer to Tony the Engineer?

I'd like to learn how to make things. If you were a young, impressionable, pre-Iron Man Tony Stark, where would you begin? I know this is an ambiguous question, but think along the lines of: "First I'd get my hands on a primer to mechanical engineering. Then I'd get my hands dirty with a 3D printer and an Arduino or Raspberry Pi. Read these books." but in more detail. Specific books, technologies, anything to fulfill the goals of this though experiment are welcome. Software, hardware, whatever. I'm not looking for information on how to make anything in particular, I'd like to set the foundation to make anything. (or at least attempt to)

Obviously we all know that being an engineer/maker/inventor isn't just sitting around and creating robots or faster than light warp drives, I'm using Tony Stark to illustrate an ideal. I know it's very hard. But I'm curious as to what steps you guys would take to get from point A to point B. Point B being the point where one could think "I want to turn my house into a smart-house over the next year with a central Linux server and some off the shelf sensors in my spare time" and get it done, or you know what, maybe even the point where you think "I want to build a robot or a faster than light warp drive." Sky's the limit. What is the recipe to make the ultimate Maker?

Likes venomnert
Physics news on Phys.org
Enlist in the military. Get into a good technical MOS. I did nuclear power and retired at 47 y.o.

Step 1. Generate an awesome idea. You can do this by reading about awesome ideas that others have had.
Step 2. Start making your awesome idea.
Step 3. When you run into something you don't know how to do, learn how to do it.
Step 4. Repeat.

There are a lot of different paths towards learning the skills that you need.

Related to How does one become Tony Stark? (the Engineer, not the Iron

1. How do I become an engineer like Tony Stark?

To become an engineer like Tony Stark, you will need a strong foundation in math and science. It is recommended to pursue a degree in engineering, such as mechanical, electrical, or aerospace engineering. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or projects can help you develop the necessary skills.

2. What skills do I need to have to be like Tony Stark?

To be like Tony Stark, you will need a combination of technical skills in engineering and computer science, as well as creative and innovative thinking. It is also important to have strong problem-solving, leadership, and communication skills.

3. Can anyone become an engineer like Tony Stark?

While it may seem like a daunting task, anyone with a passion for engineering and a strong work ethic can become an engineer like Tony Stark. It will require dedication, hard work, and continuous learning, but it is certainly achievable.

4. What are the benefits of being an engineer like Tony Stark?

Besides the satisfaction of creating innovative solutions and pushing the boundaries of technology, being an engineer like Tony Stark can also lead to a lucrative career with high earning potential. Additionally, engineers have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects and industries, making the job both challenging and exciting.

5. Are there any downsides to being an engineer like Tony Stark?

As with any job, there are potential downsides to being an engineer like Tony Stark. The work can be demanding and stressful at times, and there may be long hours and tight deadlines. Additionally, the constant need to stay updated with new technologies and advancements may require a significant amount of time and effort.