How does normal force makes us feel our weight?

In summary, the acceleration is irrelevant in our everyday experience. We feel "weight" because there is a force acting on us that is normal to the surface we are standing on. This force is what causes us to deform our mouth and face.
Biker
So I have been asking my self these questions lately. I know it is some basics of physics and I should probably know the answer..

Why do we feel weightlessness when we hit the acceleration of gravity (9.8) exactly?
Probably so that the surface that we are standing on doesn't need to produce any normal force on us so we don't feel weight. For instance, The elevator.. When the acceleration is exactly at 9.8 downward
then Mg - n = ma
and by that n = 0

But how do normal force makes us feel our weight? that what I couldn't understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Biker said:
But how do normal force makes us feel our weight? that what I couldn't understand.
What you feel are strain and compression of your body. For that you need a non uniform force, like a contact force acting only on some body parts. A uniform force field, like gravity on small scale, cannot cause such strains.

A.T. said:
What you feel are strain and compression of your body. For that you need a non uniform force, like a contact force acting only on some body parts. A uniform force field, like gravity on small scale, cannot cause such strains.
I think I have got what you mean. Yea awesome :)
but one question, Gravity can't cause strains because gravity affects each part of our body with the same acceleration right?

Biker said:
Gravity can't cause strains because gravity affects each part of our body with the same acceleration right?
Yes, unless you have a strong gravity gradient.

My feet hurt.

Likes SammyS and Drakkith
Biker said:
I think I have got what you mean. Yea awesome :)
but one question, Gravity can't cause strains because gravity affects each part of our body with the same acceleration right?

It can and does cause strains, but on Earth at our everyday scale the gradient isn't strong enough to notice, hence why A.T. answered "No" to your question. If we increase the gravity or increase the scale then the gradient's effects become noticeable. For example, the gravitational gradient of the moon's gravity on Earth is large enough to cause tides. See here for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_force

That's true
The gravitational force acting on us is not strong enough to cause strains/compressions in our body
As a result it's the reaction force of the surface or rather the normal force which causes us to feel our "weight"
Imagine you were falling freely
And don't neglect air resistance
Wouldn't you have some deformation in your face/mouth?
What force do you think causes this deformation(it's a type of frictional/drag force exerted by the air)?:)
UchihaClan13

Biker said:
So I have been asking my self these questions lately. I know it is some basics of physics and I should probably know the answer..

Why do we feel weightlessness when we hit the acceleration of gravity (9.8) exactly?
We don't. We feel "weightlessness" when there is no floor beneath us to press upward on us. The acceleration is irrelevant.

Probably so that the surface that we are standing on doesn't need to produce any normal force on us so we don't feel weight. For instance, The elevator.. When the acceleration is exactly at 9.8 downward
then Mg - n = ma
and by that n = 0

"Normal force" (specifically force normal to the floor) is the definition of "weight".

HallsofIvy said:
We don't. We feel "weightlessness" when there is no floor beneath us to press upward on us. The acceleration is irrelevant."Normal force" (specifically force normal to the floor) is the definition of "weight".
The acceleration is relevant in Earth daily life I believe. If you are going down in elevator in a acceleration of let's say 3 m/s/s and you jump you will be dragged down because your speed is much faster than the elevator( because the acceleration of gravity) so I guess from what you are saying that we feel it for a few seconds because we are not touching the ground?
But in a elevator with 9.8m/s/s acceleration and we jump then ( I think that we will hit the top of the elevator because the speed of it will be always faster than ours until we get the same speed) But we won't reach the bottom because it is moving away from us at the same speed we are moving to it.

I guess I am blabbing too much right? XD

No! You are not "dragged down by the elevator. You are "dragged down" by the force of gravity. If you jump up in an elevator, as long as you are not making contact with the floor of the elevator, it is exactly the same as if the elevator were not there. Of course, you will have, at the instant you jump, the same speed as the elevator. As long as the acceleration, downward, is less than the acceleration due to gravity, you will shortly make contact with the floor. If the acceleration of the elevator itself were -9.81 m/s^2 the elevator itself would be in "free fall" as would anyone in it. Again, it would be exactly as if the elevator were not there. (I hope you are not confusing "acceleration" and "speed". For the great majority of any elevator ride, up or down, the elevator's acceleration is 0.)

HallsofIvy said:
No! You are not "dragged down by the elevator. You are "dragged down" by the force of gravity. If you jump up in an elevator, as long as you are not making contact with the floor of the elevator, it is exactly the same as if the elevator were not there. Of course, you will have, at the instant you jump, the same speed as the elevator. As long as the acceleration, downward, is less than the acceleration due to gravity, you will shortly make contact with the floor. If the acceleration of the elevator itself were -9.81 m/s^2 the elevator itself would be in "free fall" as would anyone in it. Again, it would be exactly as if the elevator were not there. (I hope you are not confusing "acceleration" and "speed". For the great majority of any elevator ride, up or down, the elevator's acceleration is 0.)
When did I said dragged down by the elevator ._.?
What you said is what I said above :/.
" you jump you will be dragged down because your speed is much faster than the elevator( because the acceleration of gravity)"
Well I didnt mean dragged down by the elevator. It is just because your speed becomes faster than the elevator so you reach its floor. Maybe dragged wasnt the best word to use but you can say fall down to the floor it is just an expression

Related to How does normal force makes us feel our weight?

1. How does normal force affect our weight?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object in contact with it, perpendicular to the surface. This force counteracts the force of gravity acting on the object, which is what we perceive as weight. So, the normal force plays a crucial role in determining how heavy we feel.

2. Why do we feel heavier when standing on solid ground compared to floating in water?

When standing on solid ground, the normal force is equal to our weight, making us feel the full force of gravity. In contrast, when we are floating in water, the buoyant force counteracts some of the force of gravity, resulting in a decreased normal force and a lighter feeling.

3. How does the angle of the surface we are standing on affect our weight?

The normal force is always perpendicular to the surface, so the steeper the angle of the surface, the less of the force of gravity is counteracted. This can make us feel like we are leaning or being pulled in a certain direction, affecting our perceived weight.

4. Can the normal force ever be greater than our weight?

Yes, the normal force can be greater than our weight in certain situations, such as standing on a platform that is accelerating upwards. In this case, the normal force must be greater than the force of gravity to provide the necessary acceleration.

5. How does the normal force affect our balance and stability?

The normal force helps us maintain our balance and stability by providing a counterforce to gravity. This allows us to stand and move on solid ground without falling over. In situations where the normal force is decreased, such as standing on a slippery surface, our balance and stability may be compromised.