How Does Non-Conservative Force Affect Mechanical Energy Along Different Paths?

In summary, the change in ME along the direct path is 12J, and the change due to Fnc along the one path is 10J.
keltix

Homework Statement

Figure 8-17 shows one direct path and four indirect paths from point i to point f. Along the direct path and three of the indirect paths, only a conservative force Fc acts on a certain object. Along the fourth indirect path, both Fc and a conservative force Fnc act on the object. The change in ME (in Joules) in going from i to f is indicated along each straight line segment of the indirect paths.
(a) what is change in ME in moving from i to f along the direct path
(b) what is change in ME due to Fnc along the one path where it acts.

This is a conceptual question but I don't get it.

Homework Equations

change in ME=change in K + change in U=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Change in ME should equal zero for conservative forces. But the diagram has a bunch of numbers that neither add up to zero or are 0.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/keltix/fig8-17question1.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone please

Hello,

Seems to me they're asking what happens to the energy along the four paths (3 indirect and 1 direct) where only a conservative force acts, and what happens along the other indirect path where two forces act.

I see three indirect paths that have something in common, and one that doesn't. Can you spot it?

Yea, the brown/red path is 10J so that is one on which the non-conservative force acts upon right?

But on the other ones where only the conservative force acts, why does it change MECHANICAL ENERGY if it is a conservative force?

Hello,

Yeah, that's what I saw too. The one path has a different energy change-- the non conservative force.

Now, a conservative force doesn't mean that the energy won't change going from one point to another-- what it means is that if you go from point A to point B, and then back, you're going to have the same energy at point A as you started with regardless of the path you take. Check this out, it's got a decent description:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pegrav.html#cfor"

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird.

So let's say gravity (a conservative force) was the force that acted upon those 3 paths.
How would it add 12J of ME.

Also, I thought that the whole point of conservation of energy meant that ME1=ME2 so change would be zero.

Yeah, you're right about the conservation of energy stuff. Are you sure when they say ME (mechanical energy? never heard it called that) they're not talking just about the kinetic energy? Or just about the potential energy?

Because you're right, the energy from point i to point f should simply be transferred between the two, and recovered on the reverse path.

Edit: When I say recovered, I mean the potential energy recovered from the kinetic of course. And I should have said 'a' reverse path, since pathing is irrelevant.

Last edited:
The numbers on the line segments are CHANGE in ME.

I'm going to ask my teacher and see what she thinks. Thanks.

Related to How Does Non-Conservative Force Affect Mechanical Energy Along Different Paths?

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential energy and kinetic energy in a system. Potential energy is energy due to an object's position or state, while kinetic energy is energy due to an object's motion.

2. How does mechanical energy change?

Mechanical energy can change in two ways: through work and through thermal energy transfer. Work is done when an external force acts on an object, causing it to move and change its position, and therefore its potential and kinetic energy. Thermal energy transfer occurs when heat is added or removed from a system, causing a change in its internal energy and therefore its mechanical energy.

3. What is the conservation of mechanical energy?

The conservation of mechanical energy states that in a closed system, mechanical energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed between potential and kinetic energy. This means that the total mechanical energy of a system remains constant, even as it undergoes changes.

4. How does friction affect mechanical energy?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. When work is done against friction, mechanical energy is converted into thermal energy, causing a decrease in the total mechanical energy of a system. This is why it is important to consider friction when analyzing changes in mechanical energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of changes in mechanical energy?

There are many examples of changes in mechanical energy that occur in everyday life. For instance, when a roller coaster goes up a hill, its potential energy increases as it gains height and decreases as it goes down the hill due to changes in its position and speed. Another example is when a pendulum swings, kinetic energy is constantly being transformed into potential energy and vice versa. Additionally, throwing a ball, riding a bike, and turning on a light switch are all examples of changes in mechanical energy.