How Does Mixing Water at Different Temperatures Affect Entropy?

In summary, the problem involves two vessels of equal volume connected by a tube with negligible volume. Vessel A contains air at 0.7 MPa and 95C, while vessel B contains air at 0.35 MPa and 205C. The goal is to find the change in entropy of the system assuming complete and adiabatic mixing. To solve this problem, we can use the equation dS = dQ/T, where dS is the change in entropy, dQ is the change in heat, and T is the temperature. We can also use the formula dQ = mc dT, where m is the mass, c is the specific heat, and dT is the change in temperature. By
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

An aluminum can, with negligible heat capacity, is filled with 150g of water at 0 ∘C and then is brought into thermal contact with a similar can filled with 150g of water at 53∘C.
Find the change in entropy of the system if no heat is allowed to exchange with the surroundings. Use ΔS=∫dQ/T.

Homework Equations

ΔS=∫dQ/T.
dQ = mcTdT

The Attempt at a Solution

cup1 T = 273 K cup2: T = 53 + 273 = 326 K
first I need to find the final temp they will both be at

[itex] Q_{tot} = 0 [/itex]

[itex] \int dQ_1 + \int dQ_2 = 0 [/itex][itex] dQ_1 = mcTdT [/itex]

[itex] \int dQ_1 = mc \int_{273}^{T_f} TdT [/itex]

[itex] \int dQ_1 = mc ( \frac{1}{2} \left.T^2 \right|_{273}^{T_f} ) [/itex]

[itex] \int dQ_1 = \frac{1}{2}mc (T_f^2 - 273^2) [/itex]

[itex] dQ_2 = mcTdT [/itex]

[itex] \int dQ_2 = mc \int_{326}^{T_f} TdT [/itex]

[itex] \int dQ_2 = mc ( \frac{1}{2} \left.T^2 \right|_{326}^{T_f} ) [/itex]

[itex] \int dQ_2 = \frac{1}{2}mc (T_f^2 - 326^2) [/itex]

plugging back in

[itex] \int dQ_1 + \int dQ_2 = 0 [/itex]

[itex] \frac{1}{2}mc (T_f^2 - 273^2) + \frac{1}{2}mc (T_f^2 - 326^2) = 0 [/itex]

[itex] (T_f^2 - 273^2) + (T_f^2 - 326^2) = 0 [/itex]

[itex] T_f^2 - 74529 + T_f^2 - 106276 = 0 [/itex]

[itex] 2T_f^2 = 180805 [/itex]

[itex] T_f^2 = 90402.5 [/itex]

[itex] T_f = 301 [/itex]

now i am stuck when it comes to finding the actual entropy. I tried using

[itex]ds = \frac{dQ}{T} [/itex]

[itex]ds = \frac{mcTdT}{T} [/itex]

[itex]ds = mcdT [/itex]

[itex]s_1 = \int_{273}^{301} mcdT [/itex]

and

[itex]s_2 = \int_{326}^{301} mcdT [/itex]

and then

[itex] s_1 + s_2 = s_{sys} [/itex]

but it didnt give me the right answer which makes me question my entire method. where did i go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
toothpaste666 said:

Homework Statement

An aluminum can, with negligible heat capacity, is filled with 150g of water at 0 ∘C and then is brought into thermal contact with a similar can filled with 150g of water at 53∘C.
Find the change in entropy of the system if no heat is allowed to exchange with the surroundings. Use ΔS=∫dQ/T.

Homework Equations

dQ = mcTdT
whence this?

its specific heat. my book gives it as Q = mc(deltaT) and the differential form as
dQ = mc(T)dT

toothpaste666 said:
its specific heat. my book gives it as Q = mc(deltaT) and the differential form as
dQ = mc(T)dT
dQ = mc(T) dT is not the same as dQ = mcT dT!. And then you carried this mistake all the way thru your computations.

It should be apparent that, assuming constant c between the two temperatures, that the mix temperature will be the average of the two.

Strangely enough, your mix temperature wasn't off by much.

EDIT: that goes for your entropy change calculations also, for which you again used the wrong formula.

I am confused... I guess the difference between dQ = mcTdT and dQ = mc(T)dT is that (T) should be replaced by a function of temperature but they don't tell me how the temp is changing as a function so I am not sure what to plug in there

toothpaste666 said:
I am confused... I guess the difference between dQ = mcTdT and dQ = mc(T)dT is that (T) should be replaced by a function of temperature but they don't tell me how the temp is changing as a function so I am not sure what to plug in there
"mc(T)" says "mass times specific heat as a function of temperature". The units are J/s or W.
"mcT" says "mass times specific heat times temperature". Units are J-K/s or W-K.
The two are completely different entities.
In your case there is no difference between c and c(T) since c is assumed constant between your two temperatures. So forget c(T) and use c only:
dQ = mc dT
dS = dQ/T = mc dT/T.
c is specific heat in J/s/kg.

Likes toothpaste666
yeah the whole problem makes a lot more sense now. thank you!

please solve
Two vessels A and B each of volume 3m^3 are connected by tube if negligible volume. Vessel A contains air at 0.7 MPa , 95C while vessel B contains air at 0.35MPa , 205C. Find the change in entropy of system assuming the mixing to be complete and adiabatic .

rude man said:
"mc(T)" says "mass times specific heat as a function of temperature". The units are J/s or W.
"mcT" says "mass times specific heat times temperature". Units are J-K/s or W-K.
The two are completely different entities.
In your case there is no difference between c and c(T) since c is assumed constant between your two temperatures. So forget c(T) and use c only:
dQ = mc dT
dS = dQ/T = mc dT/T.
c is specific heat in J/s/kg.
J/(kgK)

cabon7969 said:
please solve
Two vessels A and B each of volume 3m^3 are connected by tube if negligible volume. Vessel A contains air at 0.7 MPa , 95C while vessel B contains air at 0.35MPa , 205C. Find the change in entropy of system assuming the mixing to be complete and adiabatic .
Please do not hijack someone else's thread to seek help with your own problem. Please start a separate thread using the required template, and show some effort.

Chet

Related to How Does Mixing Water at Different Temperatures Affect Entropy?

What is the "Entropy aluminum can problem"?

The "Entropy aluminum can problem" is a thought experiment that involves the concept of entropy, which is a measure of disorder or randomness in a system. It poses the question of how to reverse the natural process of an aluminum can crumpling and becoming more disordered over time.

Why is the "Entropy aluminum can problem" important?

The "Entropy aluminum can problem" is important because it highlights the irreversibility of natural processes and the tendency of systems to become more disordered over time. It also challenges scientists to find ways to decrease entropy and increase order in systems, which has implications for fields such as thermodynamics and materials science.

What factors contribute to the increase of entropy in an aluminum can?

The increase of entropy in an aluminum can is primarily caused by the natural process of energy spreading out and becoming more evenly distributed. This can be seen in the crumpling of the can, where the energy from the pressure inside the can is distributed to the surrounding air molecules, resulting in a more disordered state.

Is it possible to reverse the "Entropy aluminum can problem"?

In theory, it is possible to reverse the "Entropy aluminum can problem" by carefully reconstructing the can to its original state and removing the energy that caused it to crumple. However, this would require a significant amount of energy and effort, making it practically impossible to achieve in real life.

How does the "Entropy aluminum can problem" relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The "Entropy aluminum can problem" is a practical illustration of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. In the case of the aluminum can, the system is the can and its surroundings, and the increase in entropy is evident in the crumpling of the can.