How Does Mechanical Energy Explain a Bungee Jump?

In summary, TA Chuck Margraves spends his spare time bungee jumping off the Henley Street bridge with a 14 ft long bungee cord that has a spring stiffness of 22 lb/ft. To test the bungee, Chuck ties one end to the bridge railing and the other end to an unnamed EF professor weighing 134 pounds. The professor's speed when the bungee cord starts to stretch is calculated using the formula 1/2(22)(14)^2=1/2(134lbs)(v)^2. For the second part, the formula used is KE+PE=KE+PE, and the final answer is found by converting the units to N/M or m/s^2.
tre2k3
TA Chuck Margraves spends his spare time bungee jumping off the Henley Street bridge. He has a 14 ft long bungee cord (unstretched) that has a spring stiffness of 22 lb/ft. To test his bungee, Chuck ties the bungee cord to the bridge railing, ties the other end to an unnamed EF professor weighing 134 pounds, and then gently nudges the professor off of the bridge.

A. Determine the professor's speed when the bungee cord starts to stretch (ft/sec)
B. Assuming he hasn't hit the water, how much has the bungee chord stretched when professor is at the bottom of the jump? (ft)

The formula I used to get the answers was 1/2mgv^2+mgh+1/2k(x)^2+Win=1/2mv^2+mgh+1/2k(x)^2+Eloss
Since there was no work or Eloss and i set my datum at and inital velocity 0 and my initial x to 14ft so I came up with the final formual: 1/2(22)(14)^2=1/2(134lbs)(v)^2.
Did I use the right approach, and do I need to convert?

For B, I used KE+PE=KE+PE.I set my inital and final velocity 0, my height is the distance fall before the cord stretches + the change in y where the bungee cord go to the lowest point in which i got the formula, 0+mg(14ft+y)=0+1/2k(y)^2

i set it up as a quadratic formula to get the answer, but I was wondering do I need to convert and If I am doing the right thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first part is fairly simple and all we need is energy conservation. That is the potential energy lost = kinetic energy gained

[tex] v= \sqrt{2gh} [/tex]
where h is 14 feet.

For the second part the spring stiffness is mass per unit length? That can't be because then the force would be in a wrong dimension

Assuming the spring constant to be k, then work done by spring in expanding will be 1/2kx^2 (x from equlibirium position, ie 14 feet). This will equal to a further loss in P.E as the velocity of the professor at the bottom is 0. Just check on the units of the spring constant though.

im not getting the correct answer for B. I did it by just the numbers they gave me and tried to do it by converting to regular units such as N/M or m/s^2

yeah, lb/ft had me going cause i needed to cancel out some other units so I just did a conversion and I got the right answer

Related to How Does Mechanical Energy Explain a Bungee Jump?

What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion or position. It can be converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical or heat energy.

How is mechanical energy calculated?

Mechanical energy is calculated by adding the kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (energy of position) of an object. The formula is: Mechanical Energy = Kinetic Energy + Potential Energy.

What are some examples of mechanical energy?

Examples of mechanical energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a spinning top, and a falling object.

How does mechanical energy relate to work?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. Mechanical energy is the energy that is transferred when work is done on an object, such as lifting a heavy object or pushing a cart.

Can mechanical energy be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. Therefore, mechanical energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but only transformed.