How Does Magma Injection Rate and Sill Height Affect Crustal Heating?

In summary, using a numerical model, the scientist observed a non-linear relationship between the number of sills and the final volume of crust at a temperature greater than 1000 K. This could be explained by the time between injections, heat transfer between the sills and the surrounding crust, and other variables such as the rate of injection and composition of the magma. Further experimentation and analysis is needed to fully understand the underlying mechanisms.
PinkGeologist
Imagine you inject a 16km high stack of magma in the Earth's crust continuously over X years and then analyze the size and shape of the final "hot zone" as your "result" ... let's say you want to quantify the volume of crust at a temperature (T) greater than 1000 Kelvin (K). In case 1, that volime is (X1 m^-3)

Not, imagine you insert the same amount of magma over the same amount of time but not continuously - you insert 40 sills of magma, each 400m in height. The fial volume you get for that is ... (X2 m^-3)

Then you insert 160 sills in the crust, each 100m tall and get a final V = X3 m^-3

Then you insert 320 sills in the crust, each 50m tall and get a final V = X4 m^-3

Then you insert 640 sills in the crust, each 25m tall and get a final V = X5 m^-3

I did this with a numerical model (COMSOL multi-physics) where the cooling is by conduction with some latent heat added to the system as minerals in the magma crystallize out and freeze while it cools.

What is weird is that the final V does not just get larger or smaller as the sills gets shorter (and the time between their injection obviously gets shorter).

You can SEE the results here (a picture is worth 1000 words and all that):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/irzgjkoj78czb78/Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.30.13 PM.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wdpd3hlg3x80iu/Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.30.03 PM.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2mrfkilkgme5p1/Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.29.52 PM.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ruemoh8wc4mr043/Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.29.40 PM.png?dl=0

At each total rate I choose, somewhere in the 100m to 50m sills height range I get the highest final volume.

I need to describe this quantitatively rather than just qualitatively and was hoping for the insight of someone who works with thermodynamic problems to actually elucidate the finer points of what is happening.

I know there must be a "sweet spot" where the retained heat between injections and the added heat of the injections combined and amplify, but I'm not sure how to make a finer discussion.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.30.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.30.13 PM.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 476
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.30.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.30.03 PM.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 487
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.29.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.29.52 PM.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 472
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.29.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.29.40 PM.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 474
Science news on Phys.org

I would like to first commend you for conducting this experiment using a numerical model. It is always important to validate our hypotheses and theories through experimentation.

Based on the results you have presented, it is clear that there is a non-linear relationship between the number of sills and the final volume of crust at a temperature greater than 1000 K. This is not surprising, as there are many variables at play in this scenario, such as the rate of injection, the height of the sills, and the cooling mechanism.

One possible explanation for the observed trend is that as the sills get shorter, the time between injections decreases, leading to a more rapid cooling of the magma. This could result in a smaller hot zone and a smaller final volume of crust at a temperature greater than 1000 K. However, as the sills get even shorter, the time between injections may become too short for the heat to dissipate, leading to a build-up of heat and an increase in the final volume.

Another factor to consider is the heat transfer between the sills and the surrounding crust. As the sills get shorter, there is less surface area for heat transfer to occur, which could also contribute to the observed trend.

To make a more quantitative analysis, you could try varying the rate of injection while keeping the height of the sills constant. This would allow you to isolate the effect of the time between injections on the final volume. Additionally, you could also vary the composition of the magma and the properties of the surrounding crust to see how they affect the final volume.

Overall, this is a very interesting and complex problem, and further experimentation and analysis will be necessary to fully understand the underlying mechanisms. I hope my insights have been helpful to you in your research. Good luck!

Related to How Does Magma Injection Rate and Sill Height Affect Crustal Heating?

1. What do thermodynamic results show?

Thermodynamic results show the relationship between various physical properties of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. They also provide information about the energy changes that occur within a system.

2. How do I interpret thermodynamic results?

To interpret thermodynamic results, you need to understand the laws of thermodynamics and the different parameters used to describe a system. It is also important to consider the context and conditions of the experiment or system being studied.

3. What do negative thermodynamic results indicate?

Negative thermodynamic results can indicate a decrease in energy or a decrease in a specific property of the system. This could be due to a release of energy or a change in the state of the system.

4. How do I know if my thermodynamic results are reliable?

To ensure the reliability of thermodynamic results, it is important to carefully design and conduct the experiment, use accurate and calibrated instruments, and perform multiple trials. Additionally, results should be compared to theoretical predictions and previous experimental data.

5. Can thermodynamic results change over time?

Yes, thermodynamic results can change over time as the conditions of the system or environment change. For example, a system may reach equilibrium or undergo a phase change, resulting in different thermodynamic properties. It is important to consider the time frame and conditions when interpreting thermodynamic results.