How does loud music and noise affect hearing?

In summary, exposure to loud noise and music for a long period of time can cause ear drum to dampen its sensitivity and lead to hearing loss.
Mk
Well, you know the question. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
it makes it worse. If you have exposure to loud noise and music for longer periods of time, your ear drum will begin to dampen its sensitivity causing you to go old real fast. You will damage your hearing abilities and have trouble hearing things you normally could befoure you started with the loud music.

FYI
National Institute on Deafness and other Communication Disorder

NIDCD: Noise-Induced Hearing Loss --->
http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/noise.asp

Oddly, no mention of loud music in that article. But here is something including loud music.

NIDCD>WISEEARS!: How loud is too loud? --->
http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/ruler.asp

a rule of thumb: If it hurts, it's probably bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone checked out older rock stars' hearing? A good percentage of them should be nearly deaf if loud music really caused hearing loss so directly.

I can tell you this - Back in the early 80s I went to an Ozzy Osbourne concert. I was 5 feet from a wall of speakers. I didn't have my full hearing back for 3 days. That couldn't have been good for me. :biggrin:

Pete

Indeed, it is an old cliche in the entertainment industry that older rock singer's are nearly def. Talking to one is much like trying to holy conversation with a retired artillery sergeant, or one of those guys that work on the tarmack at a commercial airport. The nerves in the inner ear that detect higher frequency sound waves are the most sensitive. Overly loud noise destroys these nerve cells, which never grow back, so whatever damage gets done is permanent.

In college, my Music Theory professor told us that the ringing you here in your ears immediately after exposure to a loud noise is the sound of high-frequency nerve endings dying. It is the sound of permanent damage being done to your ears.

Indeed, it is an old cliche in the entertainment industry that older rock singer's are nearly def. Talking to one is much like trying to holy conversation with a retired artillery sergeant, or one of those guys that work on the tarmack at a commercial airport.

Now I have only talked to a few old rock stars (no one real famous, but certainly members of this category), and none of them talked at all as if they had significant hearing damage.

In fact, the only rock star I know (not personally) with serious hearing damage is Pete Townsend, but his hearing vanished when Keith Moon blew up his drum set. So I don't think he counts.

Any writer from Rolling Stone magazine or Kerrang! would definitely know for sure.

Related to How does loud music and noise affect hearing?

What is the impact of loud music and noise on hearing?

Loud music and noise can have a negative impact on our hearing. Exposure to excessive noise levels can damage the delicate hair cells in our inner ear, leading to hearing loss and other auditory problems.

How loud is too loud for music and noise?

The safe limit for noise exposure is 85 decibels (dB) for a maximum of 8 hours. Anything above this level can be harmful to our hearing. Most concerts and clubs have noise levels well above 85 dB, making them potential sources of hearing damage.

Can listening to loud music for short periods of time cause hearing loss?

Yes, even short-term exposure to loud music can cause hearing loss. This is because the hair cells in our inner ear can only handle a certain amount of sound before they become damaged. Repeated exposure to loud music can lead to permanent hearing loss over time.

What are the symptoms of noise-induced hearing loss?

The symptoms of noise-induced hearing loss may include muffled or distorted hearing, difficulty understanding speech, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), and a feeling of fullness or pressure in the ears. If you experience any of these symptoms after exposure to loud music or noise, it is important to see a doctor for a hearing evaluation.

How can I protect my hearing from loud music and noise?

The best way to protect your hearing from loud music and noise is to limit your exposure and wear hearing protection when necessary. Avoid prolonged exposure to loud music and noise, take breaks from loud environments, and use earplugs or noise-canceling headphones in loud settings. It is also important to monitor the volume levels when using personal audio devices and keep the volume at a safe level.