How Does Lagrange's Equation Describe the Motion of Two Connected Blocks?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two blocks connected by a string and a frictionless pulley. The mass of the string is negligible and the motion of the system is described using Lagrange's equation of motion and an equation of constraint, which is determined to be x+y=L. The individual is seeking suggestions for solving the problem.
Niner49er52

Homework Statement

two blocks each of mass m are connected by an extensionless uniform string of length l. one block is placed on a smooth horizontal surface and the other block hangs over the side the string passes over a frictionless pulley. describe the motion of the system when the mass of the string is negligible

2. Relevant information, equations...
The only necessary equation you need to know is Lagrange's of Motion which states:

(i've tried putting in the partial signs but its not working out so i will have to type it out!)
partial L/partial q -(d/dt) partial L/partial q' + lambda (partial f/partial q)
where f is the equation of constraint, L is the langrange equation found from L=T-U, q is the variable of which you are taking a derivative, and lambda is the force of constraint

Attempt at a solution:
I know how to do work through the partial derivatives and plug in everything to get the equations of motion and all that, my only problem is finding an equation of constraint. From there, I have no problems. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the string will be bent like this:

x
-----------
|
| y
|

Since the string is of Length L, I would say that for all values of x,y you have [itex]x+y=L[/itex]...would you not agree?

Related to How Does Lagrange's Equation Describe the Motion of Two Connected Blocks?

What is Lagrange's Equation of Motion?

Lagrange's Equation of Motion is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a system in terms of its generalized coordinates, velocities, and forces. It was developed by the mathematician and astronomer Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the late 18th century.

What is the significance of Lagrange's Equation of Motion?

Lagrange's Equation of Motion is significant because it provides a more elegant and efficient way to describe the motion of a system compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics. It is also applicable to a wide range of physical systems and can be used to derive the equations of motion for complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom.

How is Lagrange's Equation of Motion derived?

Lagrange's Equation of Motion is derived using the principle of least action, which states that the true path of a system is the one that minimizes the action integral (the integral of the Lagrangian over time). By varying the action and setting it equal to zero, the equations of motion can be derived.

What is the difference between Lagrange's Equation of Motion and Newton's Second Law?

Lagrange's Equation of Motion is a more general form of Newton's Second Law, which only applies to systems with a small number of particles. Lagrange's equation is valid for systems with any number of particles and can also account for constraints and non-conservative forces.

What are the advantages of using Lagrange's Equation of Motion?

Some advantages of using Lagrange's Equation of Motion include its ability to handle complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom, its applicability to both conservative and non-conservative systems, and its ability to incorporate constraints into the equations of motion. It also provides a more elegant and efficient way to describe the motion of a system compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics.