How Does Jumping from a Height Affect the Reading on a Bathroom Scale?

N at its peak when you jump from a height of 2.0 m.In summary, when you jump on a bathroom scale from a height of 2.0 m, the spring inside the scale compresses 0.50 mm and reads a weight of 805 N at its peak due to the conversion of gravitational potential energy to potential energy in the spring. This can be calculated using the formula F=kx, where k is the spring constant, x is the compression distance, and mgh is the gravitational potential energy.
physicsss
If you stand on a bathroom scale, the spring inside the scale compresses 0.50 mm, and it tells you your weight is 805 N. Now if you jump on the scale from a height of 2.0 m, what does the scale read at its peak?

I used F=kx, and solved for k...but I don't know what to do after that...do I set

mgh=kx, where m is 805/9.8 and h is 2.0m?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsss said:
I used F=kx, and solved for k...but I don't know what to do after that...do I set

mgh=kx, where m is 805/9.8 and h is 2.0m?

The idea is correct.
At the point where the spring is compressed the most, all gravitational potential energy has been converted to potential energy in the spring.

However, the energy stored in the spring is not kx.

mgh=1/2kx^2?

Yes, physicss

Related to How Does Jumping from a Height Affect the Reading on a Bathroom Scale?

1. How does a bathroom scale work?

A bathroom scale works by using a spring mechanism to measure the weight of an object. When an object is placed on the scale, it compresses the spring, and the amount of compression is directly proportional to the weight of the object.

2. What is the spring constant of a bathroom scale?

The spring constant of a bathroom scale is the amount of force required to compress the spring by a certain distance. This can vary depending on the type and quality of the scale, but is typically around 200-250 N/m.

3. Can bathroom scales measure accurately?

Yes, bathroom scales can measure weight accurately within a certain range. However, factors such as uneven surfaces or incorrect placement of the object can affect the accuracy of the measurement. It is important to use the scale correctly and on a flat surface for the most accurate measurement.

4. How do digital bathroom scales work?

Digital bathroom scales work by using a strain gauge, which is a device that measures the amount of strain or pressure on a material. When weight is placed on the scale, the strain gauge measures the amount of deformation and converts it into an electrical signal, which is then displayed on the digital screen.

5. What is the maximum weight a bathroom scale can measure?

The maximum weight a bathroom scale can measure varies depending on the type and brand of the scale. Most bathroom scales have a maximum weight limit of around 300-400 pounds. It is important to check the weight limit of your specific scale before use to ensure accurate measurements.