How Does Ion Conduction Work in PEMFC and Proton Conductors?

In summary, the concept of ion conduction through solid electrolytes is not well understood and is still an active area of research in physical chemistry. For something to be non-electrically conductive, it needs to have strongly bound electrons in its outer bands. The most widely accepted model for ion conduction is the "cluster model" where sulfonated side chains form pathways for protons to migrate through the material. This phenomenon is also known as "electro-osmotic drag". However, there are other types of solid electrolytes that work through a different transport mechanism and are not as dependent on humidity. Despite being invented almost 40 years ago, Nafion remains the most popular and well-performing ion conductor, indicating that this
avocadogirl
I'm having some trouble grasping what it means for something to conduct ions. A material is ion-conducting, transporting hydrogen ions (protons, essentially), but electronically insultating? For something to conduct current, it is ultimately nothing more than a flow of charge and, I recall something, vaguely, about Franklin's misnomer in establishing that current is technically "the flow of the absence of charge," but, I guess I'm struggling with what it is to conduct a current of positive charge? I feel like the explanation is going to be shamefully obvious but, it is just not sinking in.

Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
avocadogirl said:
I feel like the explanation is going to be shamefully obvious but, it is just not sinking in.

Actually, it is definitely not shamefully obvious. The mechanisms behind ion conduction through solid electrolytes is anything but well understood and is still a very active area of research in physical chemistry.

In order for something to be non-electrically conductive it needs to have strongly bound electrons in its outer bands. Since most popular solid electrolytes, i.e. Nafion, Flemion, Gore Select, have perfluorinated backbones (F-C bonds) they are very electrically insulative.

As for ion conduction, its a bit complicated. There are many models based on statical mechanics and molecular kinetics but the most widely accepted one is the "cluster model". With Nafion, you have a perfluorinated backbone with sulfonated side chains, which makes the material very hydrophilic. When the material is humidified and water is absorbed, these sulfonated chains group together and form "clusters" which develop pathways in between each other. When you introduce a proton into this material, you form a hydronium molecule (H3O) which is very weekly attracted to the sulfonated side chains. The hydronium molecule will migrate across the material by "hopping" from one sulfonated cluster to another until reaches the end of the road so to speak.

The phenomenon in which the ion brings water with it is known as "electro-osmotic drag" and does not happen in all solid electrolytes. For example, acid-base complexes do not have any EO drag aren't as dependent on humidity as perfluorinated electrolytes are. They work by a different transport mechanism which I, nor I think anyone else really fully understands. Ion conductive materials is a very active field of research and IMO is a technology still in its infancy.

BTW, Nafion which is the most popular and well performing ion conductor was invented almost 40 years ago. No one has yet to create a better performing solid electrolyte since Dupont did way back in the 70s.

I can understand your confusion about the concept of ion conduction and its relationship to electrical conductivity. Let me try to explain it in a simple way.

First, let's start with the basics. Electrical conductivity refers to the ability of a material to allow the flow of electric current. This current is essentially a flow of electrons, which are negatively charged particles. In contrast, ion conduction refers to the ability of a material to allow the movement of ions, which are charged particles that can be positively or negatively charged.

Now, let's focus on PEMFC (proton exchange membrane fuel cell) and proton conductors. These are materials that are used in fuel cells to facilitate the transport of protons (positively charged hydrogen ions). In a fuel cell, hydrogen is split into protons and electrons, and the protons are then transported through the PEMFC or proton conductor. This movement of protons is what generates the electrical current in the fuel cell.

So, in this case, the material is electronically insulating because it does not allow the flow of electrons (which are negatively charged) but it does allow the flow of protons (which are positively charged). This is why it is referred to as "ion-conducting but electronically insulating."

I hope this explanation helps you better understand the concept of ion conduction and its role in electrical conductivity. Keep in mind that these are complex concepts and it's completely normal to struggle with them. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. As scientists, we are always happy to help others understand complex concepts.

Related to How Does Ion Conduction Work in PEMFC and Proton Conductors?

1. What is a PEMFC and how does it work?

A PEMFC, or proton exchange membrane fuel cell, is a type of fuel cell that converts the chemical energy from hydrogen and oxygen into electrical energy. It works by using a proton-conducting membrane, usually made of a polymer material, to separate the hydrogen fuel on one side and the oxygen on the other side. The hydrogen ions are then directed through the membrane to the oxygen side, where they combine with oxygen to produce water and release energy in the form of electricity.

2. What are the advantages of using PEMFCs?

PEMFCs have several advantages over other types of fuel cells. They are lightweight, have a high power density, and can operate at low temperatures (usually around 80°C). They also have a quick start-up time and can be easily shut down, making them suitable for use in vehicles. Additionally, PEMFCs only emit water and heat as byproducts, making them a clean and environmentally friendly energy source.

3. What are the main components of a PEMFC?

The main components of a PEMFC include the anode (where hydrogen fuel is introduced), the cathode (where oxygen is introduced), the proton-conducting membrane, and the catalyst layers. The anode and cathode are typically made of porous carbon materials, while the catalyst layers consist of platinum or other metals that help facilitate the chemical reactions. There are also additional components such as bipolar plates, gas diffusion layers, and current collectors that help with the functioning of the fuel cell.

4. What are some examples of proton conductors used in PEMFCs?

Some common proton conductors used in PEMFCs include Nafion, a perfluorosulfonic acid polymer, and sulfonated polyether ether ketone (SPEEK). These materials have high proton conductivity and stability in the harsh operating conditions of a fuel cell. Other potential proton conductors being researched include phosphoric acid-doped polybenzimidazole, and proton-conducting ceramics such as doped zirconia and perovskites.

5. What are the challenges associated with using PEMFCs?

One of the main challenges with PEMFCs is the high cost of materials, particularly the platinum catalysts used in the electrodes. There are also challenges with the durability and lifetime of the fuel cell, as well as issues with the water management system and potential clogging of the membrane. Researchers are also working on improving the efficiency and reliability of PEMFCs, as well as finding alternative, more affordable materials for use in these fuel cells.