How Does Invariance Apply in Relativity Theory?

In summary: This is not a question.In summary, the problem is that you are not good at maths in relativity. You need to learn more about vector algebra and vector analysis before you can tackle relativity.
timetraveller123

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-17_11-55-37.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so for w' i am getting since the s' is only moving in x direction
##
\omega' = \omega \gamma (1 + \beta)
##
is this correct then i am having some trouble in dealing with the dot product to derive for
##
\bf {ck'}
##

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-17_11-55-37.png
    upload_2017-11-17_11-55-37.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,200
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not generally correct. Please show your work.

Orodruin said:
It is not generally correct. Please show your work.
i am not getting what you mean
this is what i did
##
\omega = 2 \pi f\\
\omega' = 2 \pi f'
##
say an event occurs infront of moving observer then
##
f' = f \gamma (1+ \beta)
##

vishnu 73 said:
say an event occurs infront of moving observer
You cannot make this assumption.

oh are you saying the event can occur above or below the x axis

ok then letting the event be anywhere on the xy plane then
let v be the relative velocity between s' and s
and ##\theta## be angle formed in s and ##\theta'## the angle formed in s'
f be the frequency in s and f' be the frequency in s'
upload_2017-11-17_16-20-45.png

then
##
f = f_0\\
f' = f_0 \frac{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}{1 - \beta cos \theta'}

##
is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-17_15-59-16.png
    upload_2017-11-17_15-59-16.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 392
  • upload_2017-11-17_15-59-26.png
    upload_2017-11-17_15-59-26.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 389
  • upload_2017-11-17_16-20-45.png
    upload_2017-11-17_16-20-45.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
You are seriously overcomplicating things. All that is asked is how ##\omega'## and ##\vec k'## needs to be expressed in terms of ##\omega## and ##\vec k## for the expression ##\vec k \cdot \vec r - \omega t = \vec k' \cdot \vec r' - \omega' t'## to hold. You just need to make sure that this holds regardless of the values of ##t## and ##\vec x##.

Likes PeroK
vishnu 73 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 215123

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so for w' i am getting since the s' is only moving in x direction
##
\omega' = \omega \gamma (1 + \beta)
##
is this correct then i am having some trouble in dealing with the dot product to derive for
##
\bf {ck'}
##

This looks like a maths problem to me. Does it really matter what these variables are? You're given a set of things (four-vectors etc.) with certain properties. I'm not sure you need to make any further assumptions about the things you are dealing with, other than the mathematical relationships you are given.

PS I see @Orodruin has just said much the same thing.

Orodruin said:
You just need to make sure that this holds regardless of the values of ttt and ⃗xx→\vec x.
thats just what i am having problems with

PeroK said:
This looks like a maths problem to me. Does it really matter what these variables are? You're given a set of things (four-vectors etc.) with certain properties. I'm not sure you need to make any further assumptions about the things you are dealing with, other than the mathematical relationships you are given.
the problem is i am not good at maths in relativity

please give me hints

Write out both sides of the equation, identify terms with the same coordinate factor ##t##, ##x##, ##y##, or ##z##.

Likes timetraveller123
ok what does position vector mean like what is the r vector to event or to the moving obsever

vishnu 73 said:
ok what does position vector mean like what is the r vector to event or to the moving obsever

Hint: this is a maths problem. You can forget "events" and "moving observers". Just focus on the equations now. The physics has been done by someone else: they are just asking you to do a bit of maths for them!

Likes timetraveller123
PeroK said:
Hint: this is a maths problem. You can forget "events" and "moving observers". Just focus on the equations now. The physics has been done by someone else: they are just asking you to do a bit of maths for them!
sir i understand what you are saying but i don't how to deal with the dot product how to separate the r' and k' vector when there is a dot between them thanks

vishnu 73 said:
sir i understand what you are saying but i don't how to deal with the dot product how to separate the r' and k' vector when there is a dot between them thanks
I am sorry, but if you have problems with that part you are not mathematically prepared to tackle relativity. Before you can deal with relativity, you need to become more proficient in vector algebra and vector analysis.

Orodruin said:
I am sorry, but if you have problems with that part you are not mathematically prepared to tackle relativity. Before you can deal with relativity, you need to become more proficient in vector algebra and vector analysis.
what level vector algebra is needed because i know the basics only

@Orodruin
sir please tell what do i need to learn because i am more than happy to learn please guide me through this problem and this problem

Related to How Does Invariance Apply in Relativity Theory?

1. What is the concept of invariance in relativity?

Invariance in relativity refers to the idea that certain physical laws and measurements remain unchanged, or invariant, regardless of the observer's frame of reference or relative motion. This is a key principle in Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How does invariance apply to the speed of light?

In special relativity, the speed of light is considered to be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative velocity. This is known as the principle of "invariant speed" and is a foundational concept in the theory.

3. Can invariance be observed in everyday life?

Yes, invariance can be observed in everyday life through various experiments and phenomena. For example, the constancy of the speed of light has been confirmed by experiments such as the Michelson-Morley experiment and the time dilation effect of special relativity has been observed in high-speed particle accelerators.

4. How does invariance affect our understanding of space and time?

Invariance in relativity challenges our traditional understanding of space and time as absolute and fixed. Instead, it shows that space and time are relative concepts and can be affected by an observer's frame of reference and motion.

5. Why is invariance important in modern physics?

Invariance is important in modern physics because it helps us understand and describe the behavior of fundamental particles and the universe as a whole. It also plays a crucial role in the development of theories such as special and general relativity, quantum mechanics, and the standard model of particle physics.