How Does Input Capacitance Influence IRF530 MOSFET's Maximum Input Frequency?

In summary, the MOSFET is behaving erratically if the PWM frequency is increased above 20KHz. The max input frequency that the driver can operate at is 1MHz. The driver needs a good supply and stout grounds to handle the current spikes during switching.
awaiting
Hi everyone,

I am using IRF530 in a half h bridge DC motor driver. The MOSFET is behaving erratically if the PWM frequency is increased above 20 KHz. I checked the datasheet thoroughly but could not find any thing related to maximum operating frequency. Is input capacitance related in any way to the max input frequency(It has input capacitance of 670pF).

Attachments

• IRF530.pdf
    151.6 KB · Views: 343
Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to be able to drive the 670pf input capacitance at the frequency you want to operate at. That requires a decent driver to achieve high slew rates. Look for power fet driver chips.

In order to achieve the sub 50ns switching times that the device can support according to the delay and transition times in the spec section ( and figure 10a and 10b), you need to slew the gate faster than 50ns.

Say for example you want to switch the gate from 0 to 10V in 50ns. That requires I = Cdv/dt = 670pf*10V/50ns = 134ma of drive current.

I am using IR2104 as the driver. It has turn on propagation delay of 820 ns (max) and turn on rise time of 170ns (max). This I assume gives the fastest time in which the driver can respond. So, it means I cannot get a frequency higher than 1MHz. But I want to test the circuit in 20KHz to 1MHz range.
I also tried IRF520, it has input capacitance half of IRF530 and it had slightly better response. It was operating properly upto 22.5KHz.
I think you read 20MHz instead of 20KHz. I calculated the drive current for 20KHz and it was 0.16 mA.

Fast switching of high capacitance loads such as a mosfet gate requires that short bursts of charge flow as current to or from the gate. That charge comes from power supply bypass capacitors. Your driver will need plenty of fast supply capacitance to supply the charge for the transition. Without that the power rails will fall and upset the driver bias and logic.

Don't forget that the mosfet capacitance is largely miller capacitance between the gate and drain. Switching the mosfet requires that the gate–drain capacitance be charged through the entire drain voltage change.

You don't calculate the drive current for the average frequency. You calculate the maximum drive current peaks in order to switch in the time specified. I calculated the current to switch 670pf 10 volts in 50ns (134ma). 0.16ma will slew 670pf by 10V in 41uS.

My choice of 50ns was arbitrary.

It doesn't matter if you switch 1 per minute, or 1 MHz, the current spikes during switching will be 134ma if you are ramping in 50ns.

Do you understand that the rate of change of voltage on a capacitor is proportional to the current flowing. The faster you want it to change, the more current you need to be able to supply. That means low resistance drivers, stout supply, and very good bypassing.

On a side note, realize also that the slower you switch, the more power the power fet will consume while switching since it has significant voltage across it while still conducting high current.

It looks like the IR2104 should give you decent response if your supply can support the currents and your grounds are good. Realize, however, that the currents specified are short circuit currents. You can calculate a series R from the short circuit current to get an idea of what your response will be.

130ma, 10V gives 76 ohms which give a time constant of Tau = 76*670pf = ~50ns . So, it should be pretty much there in, maybe, 3T or about 150ns.

Related to How Does Input Capacitance Influence IRF530 MOSFET's Maximum Input Frequency?

What is the max input frequency for IRF530?

The maximum input frequency for IRF530 is typically around 1 MHz, but this can vary depending on the specific application and circuit design.

Why is the max input frequency important for IRF530?

The max input frequency is important because it determines the highest frequency at which the IRF530 can accurately amplify or switch a signal. Exceeding this frequency can result in distortion or failure of the device.

How does the max input frequency affect the performance of IRF530?

The higher the max input frequency, the better the performance of IRF530 will be in terms of amplification and switching speeds. A lower max input frequency may result in slower response times and reduced accuracy.

What factors can affect the max input frequency of IRF530?

The max input frequency of IRF530 can be affected by various factors such as the circuit design, operating temperature, and input voltage. It's important to consider these factors when selecting and using the device.

Are there any limitations to the max input frequency of IRF530?

Yes, the max input frequency of IRF530 is limited by the device's internal capacitances and parasitic effects. These limitations may prevent the device from accurately amplifying or switching signals at frequencies beyond the specified maximum.