How Does Inductance Affect a DC Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with an inductor and a resistor in series, connected to a 12V d.c. supply. The time constant of the circuit is 0.606ms, the voltage drop across the inductor after two time constants is 1.62V, and the voltage drop across the resistor after three time constants is 11.4V. To replace the inductor with an equivalent coil, the resistance should be 33 ohms.
smell5
An inductor of negligible resistance and an inductance of 0.2 H is
connected in series with a 330 Ω resistor to a 12V d.c. supply.
Determine:
(a) the time constant of the circuit
(b) the voltage drop across the inductor after two time constants
(c) the voltage drop across the resistor after three time constants
(d) the resistance of a 0.2 H coil used to replace the inductor if the
circuit’s time constant falls to 0.55 ms.

This is the full question, I have calculated A, B, and C, however I am struggling with D, any help would be great and clarification of my current answer would be even better

(a) 0.606ms
(b) 1.62V
(c) 11.4V
(d) :'(

Physics news on Phys.org
The coil is equivalent with an ideal inductor and a resistor connected in series with it. The time constant is related to the inductance and the total resistance in the loop. You know the total resistance from the new time constant...

ehild

so, resistance = inductance / time constant
R = 36 ohms?

smell5 said:
so, resistance = inductance / time constant
R = 36 ohms?
Close. Try calculating it again.

Hmmm, I still get the same answer. Am I along the right track with the equation used?

Show your calculations.

I actually don't know where i got that answer from, my calculations are now something way different.

I am completely off track here, I am all confused.

is the answer 33 ohms!

You're probably not going to get much help if it's only going to be a guessing game as to what you've actually done. Show your calculations.

You don't normally get many marks for the answer, most of the marks are for showing how you got there.

smell5 said:
is the answer 33 ohms!
That looks right.

Related to How Does Inductance Affect a DC Circuit?

1. What is inductance in a DC network?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of a circuit element, such as a coil or solenoid, to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. In a DC network, inductance is the ability of a circuit to resist changes in current flow.

2. How is inductance measured in a DC network?

Inductance is measured in units called henries, symbolized by the letter "H". It can be measured using an inductance meter or by calculating the rate of change of current in the circuit.

3. What is the role of inductance in DC networks?

Inductance plays an important role in DC networks by helping to maintain a steady current flow. It acts as a kind of "shock absorber" for the current, resisting any changes in its flow and helping to stabilize the voltage in the circuit.

4. How does inductance affect the performance of a DC network?

The presence of inductance in a DC network can cause a delay in the response time of the circuit to changes in voltage, known as inductive reactance. This can affect the accuracy of the circuit's current and voltage measurements, and also cause energy losses in the form of heat. However, inductance can also be useful for filtering out unwanted electrical noise in a circuit.

5. How can inductance be controlled in a DC network?

Inductance can be controlled in a DC network by using components such as capacitors or resistors, which can counteract its effects. Additionally, the layout and design of the circuit can also be optimized to minimize inductance and its potential negative effects.