How Does Induced Mapping Function in Algebraic Topology?

Alternatively, the induced mapping is a functor that takes a homology or homotopy group in one space and maps it to the corresponding group in the other space, preserving the normal subgroups. This is often denoted as i* and can be used in algebraic topology. In summary, induced mapping is a functor that maps homology or homotopy groups from one space to another while preserving the normal subgroups.
srgmath2905
Given example for what is induced mapping ? In basic level

• Wow
Likes nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
srgmath2905 said:
Given example for what is induced mapping ? In basic level
Without context this is impossible to answer. The same term is used differently in different contexts.

Maybe only commonality is that it's functorial in nature *
*As well as in the wild ;).
Edit: In Algebraic Topology, given f: X-->Y, and groups G/N in X, G'/N' in Y( some (co) homology or Homotopy groups associated to each of X,Y, with N normal in G. N' normal in G), often designated as i* I believe they're of the form:
i*([a])=([f([a])]), from G/N to G'/N'. So a map between cosets.

So, e.g., the homotopy class [a] of ## \pi_1(X)## as above, is sent to the class [f(a)] in ##\pi_1(Y)##.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes nuuskur

Related to How Does Induced Mapping Function in Algebraic Topology?

What is induced mapping?

Induced mapping is a mathematical concept that refers to the process of creating a new function by applying an existing function to a subset of its domain.

What is the purpose of induced mapping?

The purpose of induced mapping is to simplify the analysis of complex functions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

How is induced mapping different from regular mapping?

Induced mapping differs from regular mapping in that it involves applying a function to a subset of its domain, rather than the entire domain.

What are some common applications of induced mapping?

Induced mapping is commonly used in fields such as computer science, physics, and economics to model complex systems and make predictions based on existing data.

What are the limitations of induced mapping?

One limitation of induced mapping is that it may not accurately represent the behavior of a function outside of the subset of its domain that was used to create the new function. Additionally, the process of induced mapping can be time-consuming and may not always provide meaningful results.