How Does Horizontal Acceleration Keep a Block Stationary on a Wedge?

In summary: And we didn't need to know the value of g. Now, do you see how we can also solve the problem for the horizontal force F?In summary, the problem involves a wedge and block on a horizontal table, with the block resting on the wedge. The question asks for the horizontal acceleration and force needed to keep the block stationary relative to the wedge, assuming no friction. Using free body diagrams and equations, it is determined that the horizontal force F must be equal to the weight of the block and the wedge times the tangent of the angle of the wedge, and the horizontal acceleration must be equal to the gravitational acceleration times the tangent of the angle of the wedge.
Rococo

Homework Statement

A wedge of mass M rests on a horizontal table. A block of mass m rests on the wedge.

http://imgur.com/cS02MvM

(a) What horizontal acceleration, a, must M have relative to the table to keep the block stationary relative to the wedge, assuming no friction?

(b) What horizontal force F must be applied to the system to achieve this result, assuming a frictionless table top?

Homework Equations

F=(m+M)a

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/etif1qn

All I have so far is this diagram as I don't understand the concept involved. Its not clear to me why the horizontal acceleration of the wedge could keep the block stationary. Also, I'm not sure whether this acceleration would be to the left or to the right.

Also I have read through other similar threads but still can not understand the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rococo said:

Homework Statement

A wedge of mass M rests on a horizontal table. A block of mass m rests on the wedge.

cS02MvM.jpg

(a) What horizontal acceleration, a, must M have relative to the table to keep the block stationary relative to the wedge, assuming no friction?

(b) What horizontal force F must be applied to the system to achieve this result, assuming a frictionless table top?

Homework Equations

F=(m+M)a

The Attempt at a Solution

etif1qn.jpg

All I have so far is this diagram as I don't understand the concept involved. Its not clear to me why the horizontal acceleration of the wedge could keep the block stationary. Also, I'm not sure whether this acceleration would be to the left or to the right.

Also I have read through other similar threads but still can not understand the problem.

Start by writing the FBD equations. Note that for mass m to be stationary with respect to the wedge, its vertical acceleration must be zero, and it horizontal acceleration must be equal to that of M.

Rococo said:
Its not clear to me why the horizontal acceleration of the wedge could keep the block stationary.
It does not keep the block stationary. It keeps it stationary relative to the wedge.
To get the concept, imagine you have a block of ice on a flat tray. If you pull the tray swiftly to one side the ice block will be left behind. Now make the tray slightly wedge shaped so that the ice has to rise slightly in order to slide off. It will still slide off if you jerk the tray fast enough. So increase the slope a bit more...

Start by writing Free body diagrams.Create equations applying
ƩFx=max &
ƩFy=may

This will give all the needed equations.

voko said:
Start by writing the FBD equations. Note that for mass m to be stationary with respect to the wedge, its vertical acceleration must be zero, and it horizontal acceleration must be equal to that of M.

Here's what I got:

Ncos30° = mg

Nsin30° = F = (m+M)a

Is this right?

haruspex said:
It does not keep the block stationary. It keeps it stationary relative to the wedge.
To get the concept, imagine you have a block of ice on a flat tray. If you pull the tray swiftly to one side the ice block will be left behind. Now make the tray slightly wedge shaped so that the ice has to rise slightly in order to slide off. It will still slide off if you jerk the tray fast enough. So increase the slope a bit more...

What's the reason this happens? Is it just as a result of the inertia of the block?

Rococo said:
Here's what I got:

Ncos30° = mg

Nsin30° = F = (m+M)a

Is this right?
The first equation, yes. But is F above the force applied to the wedge, as in the question? Why would that be equal to N sin 30? What body did you study an FBD of to obtain it?

Rococo said:
What's the reason this happens? Is it just as a result of the inertia of the block?
Yes. For the block to accelerate as fast as the wedge it needs a sufficient horizontal force. If the slope is too low or the friction inadequate then it won't keep up.

haruspex said:
The first equation, yes. But is F above the force applied to the wedge, as in the question? Why would that be equal to N sin 30? What body did you study an FBD of to obtain it?

Yes, F is the force applied to the wedge.

I realize F is not equal to Nsin30° now. The horizontal force acting on the block is Nsin30°. The horiztonal force acting on the wedge is F.

As voko said, the horizontal acceleration of the block must be equal to the horizontal acceleration of the wedge. So, since acceleration is force divided by mass I get this:

(Nsin30°)/m = F/(m+M)

Rococo said:
Yes, F is the force applied to the wedge.

I realize F is not equal to Nsin30° now. The horizontal force acting on the block is Nsin30°. The horiztonal force acting on the wedge is F.

As voko said, the horizontal acceleration of the block must be equal to the horizontal acceleration of the wedge. So, since acceleration is force divided by mass I get this:

(Nsin30°)/m = F/(m+M)
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.

Using the two equations:

(Nsin30°)/m = F/(m+M)
Ncos30° = mg

I was able to rearrange to get the following:

F/(m+M) = gtan30°
a = gtan30°
F = (m+M)gtan30°

Rococo said:
Using the two equations:

(Nsin30°)/m = F/(m+M)
Ncos30° = mg

I was able to rearrange to get the following:

F/(m+M) = gtan30°
a = gtan30°
F = (m+M)gtan30°
Looks good.

Related to How Does Horizontal Acceleration Keep a Block Stationary on a Wedge?

1. What is a block on accelerating wedge?

A block on accelerating wedge is a simple physical system that consists of a block placed on top of a wedge-shaped object. The wedge is then accelerated horizontally, causing the block to move along the surface of the wedge.

2. What is the purpose of studying this system?

This system is often studied in physics because it is a good example of how forces and motion can be analyzed in a real-world scenario. It also helps to understand the concept of friction and its role in motion.

3. How can the motion of the block on accelerating wedge be described?

The motion of the block on accelerating wedge can be described using the laws of motion, specifically Newton's second law. The forces acting on the block can be analyzed to determine its acceleration and the resulting motion.

4. What factors affect the motion of the block on accelerating wedge?

The motion of the block on accelerating wedge is affected by several factors, including the mass of the block and wedge, the angle of the wedge, the magnitude of the applied force, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the wedge.

5. Can this system be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the principles and equations used to analyze the motion of a block on accelerating wedge can be applied to real-world situations, such as calculating the force required to move an object up a ramp or determining the stopping distance of a car on a sloped road.