How Does Hooke's Law Apply on the Moon?

In summary: So in summary, the equation for F(g) on the moon will be 1/6 of the equation on Earth, and the spring will have an X value of 1/6 of what it would have on Earth.
Deetle

Homework Statement

How would F(g) and (delta) X change if the Spring experiment was done on the moon where the gravitational acceleration is six times smaller than on earth?

Homework Equations

F(g) = (delta) mg
F(s) = k(delta) X

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that F(g) and (delta) X would be 6 times less on the moon because there would be less gravitational pull on the spring. So if F = 68600 g cm/sec^2 and X is 26.1 cm on earth, the F = 11433 g cm/sec^2and X = 4.35 cm on the moon.

Please help.I think I'm getting the concept confused. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think delta X would change, since that is a problem of conservation of energy assuming the system is in the horisontal position.

Deetle said:

Homework Statement

How would F(g) and (delta) X change if the Spring experiment was done on the moon where the gravitational acceleration is six times smaller than on earth?

Homework Equations

F(g) = (delta) mg
F(s) = k(delta) X

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that F(g) and (delta) X would be 6 times less on the moon because there would be less gravitational pull on the spring. So if F = 68600 g cm/sec^2 and X is 26.1 cm on earth, the F = 11433 g cm/sec^2and X = 4.35 cm on the moon.

Please help.I think I'm getting the concept confused. Thanks!
You are indeed right, for the hanging spring.

The only (problem-relevant) change in this lunar setup with respect to a tellar one is the change in the value of local g, the mass and the spring constant remaining the same.

Since lunar g is one sixth of tellar g, the lunar delta will be one sixt of the delta on Earth.

Yes, obviously if g on the moon is "6 times smaller than on earth" (1/6 the value) and the mass remains the same, then F(g) is 1/6 what it is on earth. (Actually it works the other way- because F(g) is 1/6 what it is on earth, g is 1/6.)
On earth, F= mg. Dividing both sides of that equation by 6, (F/6)= m(g/6).

But the "spring" question is not a clear. If the spring is lying on a flat surface, gravity plays no part. Are you assuming that a weight is hanging from the spring and gravitational force is stretching it, then the same thing happens. If F is the gravitational force on Earth and F= kX, then dividing both sides by 6, (F/6)= k(X/6). Because, on the moon, the gravitational force if F/6, we also have the "stretch" equal to X/6.

I believe that it is in a vertical position since the weight (mass) is hanging on the end of a spring and the spring is attached to the ceiling of a room.

Last edited:
Thank you Halls of Ivy.

I'm still unclear about X. The formula on the moon is (F/6) = K (X/6).. Is this correct?

I'm unclear about you problem. Use basic concepts.

When you hang a mass m on earth, and the extension is x, then force = mg = kx.

When you hang the same mass m on moon, and the extension is x2, then m(g/6) = kx2, which gives, x2 = x/6.

Related to How Does Hooke's Law Apply on the Moon?

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

2. How does Hooke's Law apply on the moon?

Hooke's Law also applies on the moon, as it is a fundamental law of physics that is not affected by the location or environment. However, the strength of gravity on the moon is different than on Earth, so the force required to stretch or compress a spring will be different.

3. Does the moon's lower gravity affect the strength of a spring?

Yes, the lower gravity on the moon will affect the strength of a spring. The force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of an object, so with the moon's lower gravity, the mass of an object will weigh less and therefore require less force to stretch or compress a spring compared to on Earth.

4. Can Hooke's Law be applied to other objects on the moon besides springs?

Yes, Hooke's Law can be applied to other objects on the moon besides springs. Any object that can be extended or compressed can be analyzed using Hooke's Law, as long as the object has a linear elastic behavior.

5. How does Hooke's Law on the moon differ from Hooke's Law on Earth?

The main difference between Hooke's Law on the moon and on Earth is the strength of gravity. The lower gravity on the moon will result in a lower force required to stretch or compress a spring compared to on Earth. Additionally, the value of the spring constant may also differ due to the different gravitational forces.