How Does Green's Function Solve Nonlinear Boundary Value Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Green's function for the given BVP, as well as the integral ##j(x)## and its relationship to the initial form BC. The solution for the given BVP involves the use of the Green's function and the known function f(x). However, since the BVP contains an absolute value term, the solution is not expected to be a nice linear combination like the integral of a Green's function.
Krikri
I have this BVP $$u''+u' =f(x)-\lambda |u(x)| $$, ##x\in [0,1]## we BC ## u(0)=u(1)=0##.
Following an ''algorithm'' for calculating the green's function I got something like $$g(x,t)=\Theta(x-t)(1+e^{t-x}) + \frac{e^{t}-e}{e-1} +\frac{e-e^{t}}{e-1}e^{-x}$$. At some point there is this integral ##j(x)=- \int_{0}^{1}g(x,t)dt ## and since ## j(0)=j(1)=0 , j'' + j'=-1## which leads to ## j(x)= \frac{e}{e-1} -x -\frac{e}{e-1}e^{-x}##
Can someone show me how it goes from defining the integral to find this form of ##j(x)##. I mean for the conditions I see there is a straight connection with our initial form BC. For the second I understand that the differential operator acts on j(x) but why it gives -1 and how j(x) takes the final form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which function is f(x)? if f(x) is a known function and g(x,t) is the Green's function then the solution is ##u(x)=\int\limits_{D(f)} g(x,t)f(t)dt##.

Since the ode has the absolute value term, it isn't linear in general. So I wouldn't expect the solution to be a nice linear combination like the integral of a Green's function. Perhaps if ##g## and ##u## do not change sign at all over the interval it is fine?

Related to How Does Green's Function Solve Nonlinear Boundary Value Problems?

1. What is a Green's Function in ODE BVP?

A Green's Function in ODE BVP (ordinary differential equation boundary value problem) is a mathematical tool used to solve boundary value problems in differential equations. It represents the solution to a differential equation with a specific set of boundary conditions.

2. How is a Green's Function used to solve ODE BVPs?

A Green's Function is used by first finding the solution to a differential equation without boundary conditions, known as the homogeneous solution. Then, the inhomogeneous solution is found by convolving the Green's Function with the forcing term of the differential equation. Finally, the boundary conditions are applied to find the specific solution to the ODE BVP.

3. What are some applications of Green's Functions in ODE BVPs?

Green's Functions are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve boundary value problems involving heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrical circuits. They can also be used in other fields such as finance and biology to model and solve complex systems.

4. Can Green's Functions be used for higher-order ODE BVPs?

Yes, Green's Functions can be used to solve higher-order ODE BVPs by converting them into a set of first-order equations. The Green's Function will then be a matrix or vector, depending on the number of equations in the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using Green's Functions in ODE BVPs?

Green's Functions are only applicable to linear differential equations and may not work for certain types of non-linear equations. They also require a lot of computational power for more complex problems and may not always provide a unique solution.