How Does Gravity Affect the Motion of a Falling Box from an Elevator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a box falling from an elevator and the calculations needed to determine how long it will take for the box to reach its maximum height, how far it was from the bottom of the shaft when it fell, and the height of the elevator when the box reaches its highest point. The equations v(t) = v0 + at, x(t) = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, and v2 - v0^2 = 2aΔx are mentioned and used to solve for the answers. The conversation also touches on the direction of acceleration, with one person suggesting that it should be positive since the box is falling towards gravity, and another clar
Violagirl

Homework Statement

A box falls from an elevator that is ascending with a velocity of 2 m/s. It strikes the bottom of the elevator shaft in 3 seconds. A) How long will it take the box to reach its maximum height?
B) How far from the bottom of the shaft was the box when it fell off the elevator? C) What is the height of the elevator when the box is at its highest point?

Homework Equations

v(t) = v0 + at
x(t) x0+v0t+1/2at2
v2-v02=2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the elevator will reach a maximum height when the velocity is 0. So v = 0, v0 = 2 m/s, a = 9.8 m/s-2, t=3 sec.

For A) (the one I'm concerned with for now), I set it up as V-V0/a = t. Plugging everything in, t = 0 - (2 m/s)/9.8 m/s-2 to get an answer of -.204 s. I know that must not be right as I don't believe t can be negative. However, since the box is falling off the elevator, shouldn't it be measured as a positive value since it's falling down?

Physics news on Phys.org
In which direction is the acceleration?

Hypersphere said:
In which direction is the acceleration?

In this problem, acceleration is defined as a constant, which would be gravity measuring out to be 9.8 m/s2. I know that if an object is moving "up", gravity is typically negative in that situation. However, since the box is falling off the elevator and moving towards gravity, it should have a positive value, right?

Violagirl said:
I know that if an object is moving "up", gravity is typically negative in that situation. However, since the box is falling off the elevator and moving towards gravity, it should have a positive value, right?

OK, suppose you throw a ball up in the air. Is the sign of the acceleration negative while it is moving upwards and positive when it is moving downwards then?

Hypersphere said:
OK, suppose you throw a ball up in the air. Is the sign of the acceleration negative while it is moving upwards and positive when it is moving downwards then?

Oh I did not think about it in that context, so I know that the ball's velocity decreases as it's tossed up and then reaches a max velocity of zero and then it's velocity increases as it falls back to earth, which would represent a positive and increase in acceleration.

For A) (the one I'm concerned with for now), I set it up as V-V0/a = t. Plugging everything in, t = 0 - (2 m/s)/9.8 m/s-2 to get an answer of -.204 s. I know that must not be right as I don't believe t can be negative. However, since the box is falling off the elevator, shouldn't it be measured as a positive value since it's falling down.
---------------------------------------------
You are taking upward as positive as given to v.
The gravity is pointing downward.
So it must be opposite sign to v.

You can assign a as positive and it will make v of negative sign.

Violagirl said:
Oh I did not think about it in that context, so I know that the ball's velocity decreases as it's tossed up and then reaches a max velocity of zero and then it's velocity increases as it falls back to earth, which would represent a positive and increase in acceleration.

Well, let us take this carefully.
1. The ball loses speed as it moves up. Thus the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the velocity, i.e. downwards. (Think of it as vectors.)
2. The ball reaches a max height, where it has a minimum speed of zero. The acceleration continues to point in the same direction, having the same value. (Gravitation continues to exist even if you don't move.)
3. The ball starts to move down, with increasing speed. Thus the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, i.e. downwards.

Basically, the gravitation always points towards the ground. What sign does it have? It depends on your coordinate system. Say that your axis points upwards (as you have, since you say that upwards velocities are positive), then the gravitational acceleration is indeed a=-g.

Ok, got it! So just all depends on how your choose to set up your coordinate system and keeping it consistent. That makes sense, I must not have been had a consistent system in that case. Thanks a lot!

Hypersphere said:
Well, let us take this carefully.
1. The ball loses speed as it moves up. Thus the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the velocity, i.e. downwards. (Think of it as vectors.)
2. The ball reaches a max height, where it has a minimum speed of zero. The acceleration continues to point in the same direction, having the same value. (Gravitation continues to exist even if you don't move.)
3. The ball starts to move down, with increasing speed. Thus the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, i.e. downwards.

Basically, the gravitation always points towards the ground. What sign does it have? It depends on your coordinate system. Say that your axis points upwards (as you have, since you say that upwards velocities are positive), then the gravitational acceleration is indeed a=-g.

Related to How Does Gravity Affect the Motion of a Falling Box from an Elevator?

1. What is acceleration of gravity?

Acceleration of gravity refers to the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity. It is usually denoted by the letter 'g' and has a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. How is acceleration of gravity measured?

Acceleration of gravity can be measured using a device called an accelerometer, which measures the acceleration of an object. It can also be calculated using the formula: g = F/m, where F is the force of gravity and m is the mass of the object.

3. Does acceleration of gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, acceleration of gravity varies on different planets due to differences in their mass and radius. For example, the acceleration of gravity on Mars is about 3.7 meters per second squared, while on Jupiter it is about 24.8 meters per second squared.

4. What factors affect acceleration of gravity?

The main factor that affects acceleration of gravity is the mass of the object. The greater the mass, the greater the force of gravity and the faster the object will accelerate towards the Earth's surface. Other factors that can affect acceleration of gravity include air resistance and the altitude of the object.

5. What is the significance of acceleration of gravity?

Acceleration of gravity is a fundamental concept in physics and helps us understand the motion of objects on Earth and in space. It is also important in fields such as engineering and astronomy, where it is used to design structures and calculate trajectories of objects.