How Does Gauss's Law Explain Electric Fields in an Infinitely Long Charged Rod?

In summary, the problem involves an infinitely long rod with a uniform volume charge density and the goal is to calculate the electric field strengths inside and outside the rod. The solution involves using Gauss's Law and taking into account the volume and surface area of a cylinder. The final answers for the electric field strengths are E=\rho R^2/2\epsilon_0 r for the outside and E=\rho r/2\epsilon_0 for the inside of the rod. The calculation involves finding the ratio of areas and volumes for the Gaussian surfaces and the actual rod.
xaer04

Homework Statement

"An infinitely long rod of radius R carries a uniform volume charge density [itex]\rho[/itex]. Show that the electric field strengths outside and inside the rod are given, respectively, by [itex]E=\rho R^2/2\epsilon_0 r[/itex] and [itex] E = \rho r/2\epsilon_0[/itex], where r is the distance from the rod axis."

radius of rod = R
distance from axis to gaussian surface = r
length of gaussian surface = L
charge per unit volume = [itex]\rho[/itex]

Homework Equations

surface area of a cylinder (not including bases)
[tex]A = 2\pi rL[/tex]

Volume of a cylinder
[tex]V = \pi r^2 L[/tex]

Gauss's Law
[tex]\Phi = \int \vec{E} \cdot \vec{dA} = \frac{q_{encl}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Answer for inside the surface
[tex]E = \frac{\rho R^2}{2 \epsilon_0 r}[/tex]

Answer for outside the surface
[tex]E = \frac{\rho r}{2 \epsilon_0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, the surface area doesn't include bases because they're not relevant. I drew electric field lines on the diagram, and the one that is a side view of the rod shows that because it extends off to infinity, the electric field lines won't angle off because there are no ends, making them appear parallel from the side. This means, i don't need the ends of my gaussian cylinder in my surface area - for all practical purposes they're still there (and i'll still need to consider area when dealing with volume charge density), but because they're parallel to the field there is no flux. when viewed from the end (cross section), the lines are radial, which means i don't have to worry about [itex]cos \theta[/itex].

the dotted lines in the cross section show the gaussian surfaces i chose, and the cylinder surrounding the rod shows the outer gaussian surface i chose. the length of that, L, is the same for both surfaces. The outer one i got to work out:

there's no need for an integral, so i have [itex]E \cdot A = q_{encl}/\epsilon_0[/itex]
[itex]q_{encl}[/itex] is just charge density times volume.

[tex]2\pi rLE = \frac{\rho \pi r^2 L}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
which simplifies to:
[tex]E = \frac{\rho r}{2 \epsilon_0}[/tex]

when i try to calculate the inner one, i know there is some ratio dealing with object volume and gaussian surface volume, but i don't know where it comes from or how it works... or how to get it:( please help.

Attachments

• 09-02-07_1018.jpg
    09-02-07_1018.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 949
  • 09-02-07_1019.jpg
    09-02-07_1019.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 940
Physics news on Phys.org
Within the rod you work out the enclosed charge exactly the same way: charge density times volume. What's the volume of your Gaussian cylinder of radius r and length L?

Actually the formula you worked out is the inner one... When you work out the outer one, you'll be using big R to calculate the volume of the charge...

when you do the inner one... r = R... but when you do the outer one... r > R

that would be [itex]\pi r^2 L[/itex]. i thought it would be that. where i get tripped up is in the example in the text, the same problem is done with a sphere using a ratio of the gaussian inner area and the area of the actual sphere:
[tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/tex] for the inside area

[tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi R^3[/tex] for the sphere area
it states that their areas have a ratio of [itex]r^3/R^3[/itex]. it also states that the sphere has a total uniform charge of Q, not a charge distribution based on volume, and they equate [itex]q_{encl}[/itex] to [itex]Q(r^3/R^3)[/itex] for [itex]r<R[/itex].

their final answer looks like this for inside a sphere:
[tex]E=\frac{Qr}{4\pi \epsilon_0 R^3}[/tex]

if i apply that same logic to my situation, i start by getting the ratio of areas:
[tex]\frac{\pi r^2 L}{\pi R^2 L}[/tex]

for a ratio of [itex]r^2/R^2[/itex].

my [itex]q_{encl}[/itex] from the first answer will now just be Q, which i will multiply by the area ratio.

[tex]E(2 \pi r L) = \frac{r^2}{R^2} \left( \frac{\rho \pi r^2 L}{\epsilon_0} \right) [/tex]

which simplifies to:
[tex]E = \frac{\rho r^3}{2 \epsilon_0 R^2}[/tex]

the r and R are completely wrong.

ooh, thanks for spotting that, learningphysics...

ooh, and that means my ratio was backwards, which means... it works out, heh. but why do they use the ratio inside of a sphere where i have to use it outside of a rod?

xaer04 said:
that would be [itex]\pi r^2 L[/itex]. i thought it would be that. where i get tripped up is in the example in the text, the same problem is done with a sphere using a ratio of the gaussian inner area and the area of the actual sphere:
[tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/tex] for the inside area

[tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi R^3[/tex] for the sphere area
it states that their areas have a ratio of [itex]r^3/R^3[/itex].

That's the ratio of the volumes... not the areas. surface area of a sphere is [tex]4{\pi}R^2[/tex]

xaer04 said:
ooh, and that means my ratio was backwards, which means... it works out, heh. but why do they use the ratio inside of a sphere where i have to use it outside of a rod?

If they gave you Q instead of [tex]\rho[/tex]... then you might be get similar results... they won't be exactly analogous... because the charge enclosed in a volume varies as r^3 for the sphere... but only varies as r^2 for the cylinder...

alright.. anyways, thanks a lot for the help.

Related to How Does Gauss's Law Explain Electric Fields in an Infinitely Long Charged Rod?

1. What is the definition of an electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its surroundings. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field of a rod calculated?

The electric field of a rod can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The electric field is then calculated as the force per unit charge.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field of a rod?

The strength of the electric field of a rod is affected by the magnitude of the charge on the rod, the distance from the rod, and the angle at which the electric field is measured. It is also affected by any other nearby charged objects or conducting materials.

4. What is the direction of the electric field around a rod?

The direction of the electric field around a rod depends on the charge distribution on the rod. If the rod has a positive charge, the electric field will point away from the rod. If the rod has a negative charge, the electric field will point towards the rod. The direction of the electric field is always perpendicular to the surface of the rod.

5. How does the electric field of a rod affect charged particles in its surroundings?

The electric field of a rod exerts a force on any charged particles in its surroundings, causing them to experience a net force towards or away from the rod. The strength and direction of this force depend on the charge of the particles and their distance from the rod. If the particles are free to move, they will be accelerated by the electric field.