How Does Gauss's Law Calculate Charge on a Cylindrical Shell?

In summary, a cylindrical shape with a radius of 7cm and length of 240 cm has its charge uniformly distributed on its curved surface. The magnitude of the electric field at a point 19cm radially outward from its axis is 36.0KN/C. Using Gauss's law, the net charge on the shell can be calculated to be 9.12x10^-7.
qwerty123
I am stuck on this one. I apprciate your help greatly.

A cyllindrical shape of radius 7cm and length 240 cm has its charge uniformly distributed on its curved surface.The magnitude of the electric field at a point 19cm radially outward from its axis (measure from the mid point of the shell) is 36.0KN/C.Find the net charge on the shell.

PLZ show me the light. the part that says 19cm from the axis sounds fishy

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far? Any thoughts at all? What's wrong with the 19 cm from the axis bit? Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Gauss's law will only give an approximate answer for a cylinder of finite length. However, that may be good enough for your purposes here.

How can you use Gauss's law to find the electric field at any distance from the cylinder's axis? Have you done that, yet?

well, i found the electric field to be...

E= (2KQ)/(Lr) but they want me to solve for Q not for E so...

Q= (ERL)/(2K) --------> Q=(36x10^3)(.19m)(2.40m) / (2)(9x10^9)

Q=9.12x10^-7

i did this but could you double check. i checked in the back of the book, answer is correct but i am not sure if this is the right wa to do it bcause sometimes I get the right answer but not doing it the way it is supposed to.

Looks ok to me. Of course, I don't know how you arrived at your first expression...

Related to How Does Gauss's Law Calculate Charge on a Cylindrical Shell?

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface.

2. How is Gauss's Law applied in physics?

Gauss's Law is used to find the electric field at a point due to a distribution of charge, as well as to determine the total charge within a given region.

3. Can Gauss's Law be used for any shape or configuration of charge?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to any shape or configuration of charge, as long as the charge is enclosed by a closed surface.

4. How is Gauss's Law related to Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a special case of Gauss's Law, where the electric field is calculated at a point outside a point charge. Gauss's Law can be used to derive Coulomb's Law.

5. What are some real-life applications of Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is used in various technological applications, such as in the design of capacitors and in the analysis of electric fields in electronic devices. It is also used in understanding the behavior of lightning and in studying the electric fields of celestial bodies.