How Does Gauss' Law Apply to Complex Cylindrical Charge Distributions?

In summary, we calculated the magnitude of the electric field at r = 10 cm from the z-axis and found it to be 5.4*10^5 N/C. We also calculated the induced surface charge per meter on the inner conductor's outer surface (at r = 3 cm) and found it to be +2 µC/m.
TwinGemini14
An infinite line charge lies on the z-axis with l = 2 µC/m. Coxaial with that line charge are: an infinite conducting shell (with no net charge) with thickness 1 cm and with inner radius 2 cm and outer radius 3 cm, an infinite shell with a radius of 4 cm and with a net charge of -5 µC/m, and another infinite conducting shell (with no net charge) with a thickness of 1 cm and with an inner radius of 5 cm and outer radius of 6 cm. A cross sectional view of this setup is shown below:

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu347/TwinGemini14/elecshell.gif

-----------
4) Calculate the magnitude of the electric field at r = 10 cm from the z-axis.

A) 0 N/C
B) 1.15 x 10^5 N/C
C) 2.89 x 10^5 N/C
D) 4.22 x 10^5 N/C
E) 5.40 x 10^5 N/C

-------------
Since our cylinders have infinite length, I simply added the charge densities to get the charge enclosed by our cylinder.
So Q = (2 uC)*(-5 uC) = -3 uC.
Using Gauss' Law, EA = Q/(epsilon-not)
E = Q/(Epsilon-not * A)
E = (3*10^-6) / ((8.85*10^-12)*(2pi*0.1))
E = |-5.4*10^5| = 5.4*10^5 N/C

ANSWER = E
I believe I did this one correct, but could somebody double check please?
-----------
5) Calculate the induced surface charge per meter on the inner conductor's outer surface (at r = 3 cm).

A) -4 µC/m
B) -3 µC/m
C) 0 µC/m
D) +2 µC/m
E) +5 µC/m

----------
So I assumed this logic. Since the inner conductor's inner shell (2cm) must be -2 uC/m to balance the infinite line of charge. So then at the outer shell (3m), it must be -3 uC/m since at 4cm, the net charge is -5 uC. ANSWER = B.
---------------
Can somebody please help me with these problems? I'm not entirely sure and would appreciate the assistence. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
TwinGemini14 said:
-----------
4) Calculate the magnitude of the electric field at r = 10 cm from the z-axis.

A) 0 N/C
B) 1.15 x 10^5 N/C
C) 2.89 x 10^5 N/C
D) 4.22 x 10^5 N/C
E) 5.40 x 10^5 N/C

-------------
Since our cylinders have infinite length, I simply added the charge densities to get the charge enclosed by our cylinder.
So Q = (2 uC)*(-5 uC) = -3 uC.
Using Gauss' Law, EA = Q/(epsilon-not)
E = Q/(Epsilon-not * A)
E = (3*10^-6) / ((8.85*10^-12)*(2pi*0.1))
E = |-5.4*10^5| = 5.4*10^5 N/C

ANSWER = E
I believe I did this one correct, but could somebody double check please?
Looks good.

-----------
5) Calculate the induced surface charge per meter on the inner conductor's outer surface (at r = 3 cm).

A) -4 µC/m
B) -3 µC/m
C) 0 µC/m
D) +2 µC/m
E) +5 µC/m

----------
So I assumed this logic. Since the inner conductor's inner shell (2cm) must be -2 uC/m to balance the infinite line of charge.
Good! Since you know the net charge on the conducting shell is zero, what must be the induced charge on the outer surface?
So then at the outer shell (3m), it must be -3 uC/m since at 4cm, the net charge is -5 uC. ANSWER = B.
Does a charge at r = 4 cm have any impact on anything going on at r = 3 cm?

So then if the charge at 2cm is -2 uC/m, then at 3cm, it must be +2 uC/m since the charge between 2cm and 3cm must be zero.

Right?

So the answer is D.

Right!

Related to How Does Gauss' Law Apply to Complex Cylindrical Charge Distributions?

1. What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the net electric charge enclosed by that surface.

2. How do you solve a Gauss' Law problem?

To solve a Gauss' Law problem, follow these steps:
1. Choose a closed surface or Gaussian surface that encloses the charge(s) of interest.
2. Calculate the total electric flux through the surface.
3. Determine the net electric charge enclosed by the surface.
4. Apply Gauss' Law, which states that the total electric flux is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space (ε0).
5. Solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are some common applications of Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law has many applications in physics and engineering, including:
- Calculating electric fields and electric potentials in simple and complex systems.
- Determining the electric field inside and outside of a charged conductor.
- Understanding the behavior of capacitors and dielectric materials.
- Studying the electric polarization of materials.
- Predicting the electric field of point charges and other charge distributions.
- Analyzing the electric fields of charged particles in motion, such as in particle accelerators.

4. What is the difference between Gauss' Law and Gauss' Law for Magnetism?

Gauss' Law and Gauss' Law for Magnetism are two separate laws that are often confused. The main difference is that Gauss' Law applies to electric fields, while Gauss' Law for Magnetism applies to magnetic fields. Gauss' Law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space, while Gauss' Law for Magnetism states that the magnetic flux through a closed surface is always zero.

5. How does Gauss' Law relate to the concept of charge conservation?

Gauss' Law is closely related to the concept of charge conservation, which states that the net electric charge in a closed system remains constant over time. This is because Gauss' Law relates the total electric flux through a closed surface to the net enclosed charge. This means that if the electric flux through a closed surface changes, there must be a corresponding change in the net enclosed charge, ensuring that charge is conserved.