How Does Frictionless Pulley Affect Acceleration in a Modified Atwood's Machine?

• Thread starter Vixenbergen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary: The pulley has a moment of inertia, I, and the torque equation is:$$I\frac{a}{R}= (T_{2} - T_{1})R$$where R is the radius of the pulley. I don't see any other equations besides this one, so the only unknown is a.In summary, the given system is a modified Atwood's machine with a stationary mass on a table, a hanging mass of 4kg, and a pulley with an I of 1/2 kg*m^2 and a radius of .3m. The tension of the rope on each side of the pulley is not equal due to the pulley's moment of inertia, and the resulting torque equation
Vixenbergen

Homework Statement

Given the system shown, if the pulley has frictionless bearings, find
a, the magnitude of the acceleration of the masses.

This is a modified Atwood's machine, instead of the 2nd mass hanging however, it is stationary on a table. The pulley is at the edge of the table and the 1st mass is hanging down. The mass on the table has a mass of 3kg, the hanging mass is 4kg. The pulley has an I of 1/2 kg*m^2 and a radius of .3m.

Homework Equations

F = Ma
T = Ia(angular)
T = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

F = Ma
Mg - T2 = ma
also Torque = r x F
Torque = rTsin90
RT = Ia(angular)
rT = I (A/R) --> because linear accel = angular * radius

But from here I'm lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
Vixenbergen said:
Given the system shown
? There is no system shown. Did you forget your diagram?

The critical point here is that the tension of the rope is not equal between the two sides of the pulley because the pulley has a moment of inertia hence it needs torque to rotate, and the torque would be zero if the two tensions were equal. So we have to use ##T_1,T_2## for the two tensions, and the system of equations is (by index 1 I mean the mass that is hanging)
$$m_1g-T_1=m_1a$$
$$T_2=m_2a$$
$$(T_1-T_2)R=I\frac{a}{R}$$

Linear system of three equations with three unknowns, shouldn't be much of a trouble to solve for a college student.

phinds said:
? There is no system shown. Did you forget your diagram?
I think that here we have what is more widely known as a "half-Atwood" machine.

Likes Delta2

Related to How Does Frictionless Pulley Affect Acceleration in a Modified Atwood's Machine?

What is a Modified Atwood's Machine?

A Modified Atwood's Machine is a physics apparatus used to study the acceleration of objects under the influence of gravity. It consists of a pulley system with two masses connected by a string, where one mass is heavier than the other.

How does a Modified Atwood's Machine work?

The heavier mass on one side of the pulley causes the lighter mass on the other side to accelerate downward due to the force of gravity. The acceleration can be measured by using a stopwatch to time how long it takes for the lighter mass to reach the ground.

What are the main differences between a Modified Atwood's Machine and a traditional Atwood's Machine?

The main difference is that in a traditional Atwood's Machine, both masses are equal in weight, while in a Modified Atwood's Machine, one mass is heavier than the other. Additionally, a Modified Atwood's Machine may also have a different setup or design compared to a traditional one.

What factors affect the acceleration of a Modified Atwood's Machine?

The acceleration of a Modified Atwood's Machine is affected by the difference in mass between the two masses, the force of gravity, and the friction of the pulley system. It can also be affected by air resistance, if present.

What are some real-life applications of a Modified Atwood's Machine?

A Modified Atwood's Machine can be used to study the acceleration of objects in free fall, such as a skydiver or a falling object. It can also be used to demonstrate the principles of inertia and Newton's Second Law of Motion.