How Does Friction Affect the Timing in an Atwood Machine?

In summary, the subscript is not working properly, so the author took m1 to mass 1 and m2 to mass2 to try and solve for the force. Mass 1 takes a time t=\sqrt{}2h(m2+m1)/g(m2+m1) to reach the floor, however mass 2 takes a time t=\sqrt{}h(m2+m1)/g(m2-m1) to reach the floor due to the effect of friction.
vandersmissen

Homework Statement

It appears that the subscript is not working properly, please take m1 to means mass 1 and m2 to mean mass2

Atwood's machine consists of two masses connected by a string that passes over a pulley, as show in the figure. Consider the pulley to be massless and frictionless. Show that, if released for rest, m2 takes a time t=[tex]\sqrt{}2h(m2+m1)/g(m2+m1)[/tex] to reach the floor.
[PLAIN]http://rawrspace.com/atwood.jpg

Homework Equations

I believe,
T-m1g=m1a
m2g-T=m2a

The Attempt at a Solution

So from the relevant equations I solve for T and set them equal. I get
m1a+m1g=m2g-m2a

I solved the equation so that the a's were on one side and the g's were on the other and factored.

a(m2+m1)=g(m2-m1)

Then I divided both sides by (m2-m1)

a(m2+m1)/(m2-m1)=g

Now I am kind of close I think but I am not sure where to go. I know that acceleration (a) is the distance traveled over time squared. So would I replace a with h/t2 and then solve the equation to get

t=[tex]\sqrt{}h(m2+m1)/g(m2-m1)[/tex]

That is where I have hit a brick wall because they have it as 2h , I know that both masses move h distance, how did that get incorporated in however ? I also know that there is an equation 1/2(g)t2 that may be the way it was introduced, but I do not know how to relate them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you solve for the acceleration, you get a=g(m2-m1)/(m2+m1), which is constant. That means you can apply the equations you have for constant acceleration.

Alright so
We know that for mass 1 , T-m1g=m1a and for mass 2 , m2g-T=m2a
The reason I set this up is because I was trying to make sure the force is positive and since m1 is moving upward, T is greater and on the otherside, since m2 is moving downward, it is greater than T , is that the correct reasoning for how I came up with the formulas above ?

Once I have those formulas I rewrote it to

a(m2+m1)=g(m2-m1)

then solving for a you get the following
for a=g(m2-m1)/(m2+m1)

then using
x=x_0+v_0t+(1/2)at^2

you plugin and get
h=(1/2)[g(m2-m1)/(m2+m1)]t2

and finally rewriting you get
t=[tex]
\sqrt{}2h(m2+m1)/g(m2+m1)
[/tex]

Is that the correct reasoning ? I just want to make sure I understand the process.

Yup, that's correct. Good work.

Thank you very much for the help.

I had one additional question, It also asks

Let M be the mass of the pulley in the previous question. If the effect of friction on the pulley is considered , how long does it take m2 to reach the floor? The mass is again released from rest and height h.

To solve this would I follow the same general format as the last except now in this case I will have a frictional force acting on m2 since it is pulling downward. Or is this where something like torque would come in.

I believe for the equations I would have

T=m1a+m1g and for mass 2 , T=m2g-m2a-f

Then setting them equal and solving I get

(m2-m1)g-f=(m2+m1)a

Solving for a I get
a=[(m2-m1)g-f]/(m2+m1)

Plugging into the constant acceleration equation, I get

t=[tex]
\sqrt{}2h(m2+m1)/g(m2-m1)-f
[/tex]

Does that seem correct ? I think it is because it is taking the external forces and subtracting frictional force from it, thus reducing the force that is doing the work.

Last edited:

Related to How Does Friction Affect the Timing in an Atwood Machine?

1. What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device consisting of two masses connected by a string or rope that passes over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate the principles of Newton's laws of motion and can be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does an Atwood Machine work?

The Atwood Machine works by utilizing the difference in weight between the two masses. As one mass is heavier than the other, it exerts a greater force on the pulley, causing it to rotate. This rotation then causes the lighter mass to accelerate downward, while the heavier mass accelerates upward at a slower rate.

3. What is the purpose of an Atwood Machine proof?

The purpose of an Atwood Machine proof is to demonstrate the principles of Newton's laws of motion, specifically the concept of equilibrium and how forces are balanced in a system. It can also be used to determine the acceleration due to gravity and to calculate the mass of unknown objects.

4. What are the assumptions made in an Atwood Machine proof?

The main assumptions made in an Atwood Machine proof are that the string or rope is massless and does not stretch, and that there is no friction between the pulley and the string. These assumptions allow for a simplified analysis of the system and make it easier to apply the laws of motion.

5. What are the real-life applications of an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine has several real-life applications, such as in elevators and cranes, where the principle of balancing forces is used to lift heavy objects. It is also used in some types of exercise equipment, as well as in physics demonstrations and experiments in educational settings.