How Does Friction Affect Spring Compression and Energy Loss?

In summary, after a block of mass comes to a stop for a moment against a horizontal spring of constant k=3N/m, the spring compression is calculated to be 0.245m. The block's new maximum compression is then determined to be 1.5x^2 + 0.194x. Finally, the amount of thermal energy produced due to the spring's friction is calculated to be 0.0364J.
becksftw

Homework Statement

A horizontal uncompressed spring of constant k= 3 N/m and negligible mass lies on a frictionless floor. The right end of the spring rests against a vertical wall. A block of mass m=0.180 kg with initial velocity v0= 1.0 m/s is incident to the spring from the left. The spring in compressed and the block comes momentarily to rest.

a. Calculate the maximum compression x of the spring. (Did this, x= 0.245m)
b. Determine the velocity v of the block when the spring compression x'= 0.150m (Did this, v= 0.790 m/s)

*****Here is where I'm stuck

The initially frictionless floor is now replaced by a floor that has a coeff. of kinetic friction mu= 0.11

c. Calculate the new maximum compression x'' of the spring when the block comes momentarily to rest.

d. Determine the amount Eth of thermal energy produced in part c by frictional force.

I think I know how to do part d once I get c, but I've been stuck on part c for some time now.

Homework Equations

Fd= (Delta Emec) + fkd

So, I know fk= 0.194
and deltaE= .09 ?

I'm not sure how to approach the problem, and its very important that I understand how to for my exam coming up friday. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Set up your work-energy theorem so that everything is in your system.

So:

0 = deltaKtrans + deltaThermal +deltaUspring

You only have one unknown, the 'x'(or distance) value in your deltaThermal and deltaSpring expression. Solve for that x and plug in your knowns.

Once you solve for x, plug it back into your deltaThermal expression and evaluate it.

Ok, so I get:

1.5x^2 + 0.194x + .09 =0

I end up have to take the sq root of a negative though, so I must be doing something wrong. -

sqrt(0.194^2 -4(1.5)(.09)) = -.502

remember the delta's are (final - initial) and the mass comes to a complete stop(i.e. it's final kinetic energy is zero)

Oh yeah! I got 0.188m and 0.0364J which I believe are the correct answers. Thank you!

Related to How Does Friction Affect Spring Compression and Energy Loss?

What is a spring compression problem?

A spring compression problem refers to a situation where an external force is applied to a spring, causing it to compress or stretch from its original position. This often occurs in physics experiments or engineering designs.

What factors affect the amount of spring compression?

The amount of spring compression is affected by the spring's stiffness, the force applied, and the distance the spring is compressed. The type of material and the temperature can also play a role in the amount of compression.

How is the amount of spring compression calculated?

The amount of spring compression can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of compression or stretch. The formula is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the amount of compression.

What is the difference between spring compression and spring constant?

Spring compression refers to the physical displacement of a spring from its original position, while spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. The spring constant is a constant value for a specific spring, while the amount of compression can vary depending on the applied force.

How can spring compression problems be applied in real-life situations?

Spring compression problems have many practical applications, such as in car suspensions, shock absorbers, and door hinges. They can also be used in the design of springs for different industrial and mechanical purposes.