How Does Friction Affect Energy Conservation in Rotational Motion Experiments?

In summary, the conversation discusses a small experiment in which a mass was attached to a string and hung on a pulley connected to a rotating object. The goal was to write a conservation of energy equation including kinetic energy, potential energy, and energy lost due to friction. The attempt at a solution includes setting up an equation with initial and final energy and using variables such as w (angular velocity), v (linear velocity), and f (force of friction). However, there are some concerns about equating torque with energy and using the correct equation for friction.
Painguy

Homework Statement

We performed a small experiment in class which had us attach a mass to a string which hung on a pulley which led to a rotating object.
D5TKaV7.png

We were then told to write down a conservation of energy equation stating that the initial energy is equal to the final energy. We were asked to include kinetic energy (rotational, translational), potential energy, and energy lost due to friction which we found with Tf=f*r.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have setup so far.

Ui +Kroti +Ktransi=Uf+Krotf +Ktransf +Wf

mgd=.5Iw^2 + .5mv^2 -f

I'm still a little confused about how energy is conserved if we're losing energy due to friction?

After that they ask me to replace every instance of w with v/r and v with 2d/t and try to get the following I=(mr^2)((gt^2/2d)-1-(t^2/(2md))f)

What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Painguy said:
mgd=.5Iw^2 + .5mv^2 -f
f is the force of friction? If so, there are two things wrong with the -f term.

how in the world are you equating torque with energy

haruspex said:
f is the force of friction? If so, there are two things wrong with the -f term.
I suppose I should have did f*Δd? I'm not sure what to do here.

I would like to clarify that energy is always conserved in a closed system, meaning that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In this experiment, the initial energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) is equal to the final energy (potential energy + kinetic energy + work done by friction). This is known as the law of conservation of energy.

In your equation, you have correctly accounted for the initial and final energies, but you are missing the work done by friction. The correct equation should be:

Ui + Kroti + Ktransi = Uf + Krotf + Ktransf + Wf

where Wf is the work done by friction, which can be calculated as Wf = f * d (not Tf = f * r). This is because the force of friction is acting along the distance d, not the radius of the pulley.

As for replacing w with v/r and v with 2d/t, these substitutions are valid as long as the rotational and translational velocities are related by v = r * w. This is known as the tangential velocity equation. However, it is important to note that this substitution only works for a specific moment in time and may not hold true for the entire duration of the experiment. It would be more accurate to keep w and v separate in the equation and only use the substitution when necessary.

In the final equation you were asked to derive, it seems like there may be an error in the original equation given, as it does not match the units of the final equation. It would be best to double check the original equation and make sure all units are consistent throughout the calculation.

Related to How Does Friction Affect Energy Conservation in Rotational Motion Experiments?

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It can take many forms, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, and chemical energy.

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion occurs when an object rotates around an axis. This type of motion is often seen in objects such as wheels, gears, and planets.

What is the relationship between energy and rotational motion?

Energy and rotational motion are closely related. Rotational motion can either increase or decrease an object's energy, and energy can also cause rotational motion by applying a torque.

How is energy conserved in rotational motion?

In a closed system, the total amount of energy remains constant. This means that energy is conserved in rotational motion, as it can only change forms or be transferred between objects.

What factors affect the amount of energy in rotational motion?

The amount of energy in rotational motion is affected by factors such as the mass, speed, and radius of the rotating object, as well as the torque applied to it.