How Does Friction Affect Acceleration in High-Performance Race Cars?

In summary, the problem involves a high-performance race car with a coefficient of static friction of 0.87 and a weight of 6762 N. The car is subject to a downforce of 4060 N and an air resistance of 1190 N. The normal force is calculated to be 10,822 N, and the frictional force is found to be 9415.14 N in the -x direction. However, the teacher has clarified that the frictional force should actually be in the +x direction, as it opposes the tire's backwards push on the road surface.
jehan4141
Air rushing over the wings of high-performance race cars generates unwanted horizontal air resistance but also causes a vertical downforce, which helps the cars hug the track more securely. The coefficient of static friction between the track and the tires of a 690-kg race car is 0.87. What is the magnitude of the maximum acceleration at which the car can speed up without its tires slipping when a 4060-N downforce and an 1190 N horizontal air resistance force act on it.

My work:

I get the general concept of the problem, but my confusion is about 1/2 way into the problem.

The free-body diagram would be like so:
The car is moving in the positive direction, +x.
Frictional force and air resistant point in the negative direction, -x.
Normal force points up.
Weight and downward force point down.GIVEN
coefficient of friction, u = 0.87
m = 690 kg
w = 690(9.8) = 6762 N
Downforce, Fd = 4060 N
Air resistance, Fa = 1190 N

Normal Force = Fn = 6762 + 4060
Normal Force = Fn = 10, 822 N

Force of friction = Ff = (Fn)(u)
Ff = (10822)(0.87)
Ff = 9415.14 N

We know that frictional force is in the -x direction.

Net Fx = -Fa + (-Ff) = ma
Net Fx = -1190 + (-9415.14) = (690)a *************
a = (-10605.14) / 690
a = -15.369768 m/s^2

My teacher said that I messed up at the part with the stars. He says that there shouldn't be a negative sign infrom of the Ff, force of air resistance.

Isn't frictional force a vector that points in the -x direction? Could somebody please explain this to me please? Does the frictional force of a tire point in the positive direction? And if yes, is this always true for tires? and lastly, are there other instances besides tires where this is the case? Thank you in advance ! :]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hey jehan4141

If the car is moving in +x then friction due to downward forces and air drag should act in -x

if this wasn't true and air drag should be in +x so we can design a car for which air drag>downward force friction and then that car will move on its own ... which is not possible

so air drag should be in -X IMO
ask your teacher again in case he told you this by mistake

thank you :) i will ask him again :D

In order for the car to accelerate in the +x direction, its tires must push back against the road surface, in the -x direction. The force that prevents the tire from slipping is the static friction. So the static friction must act in the +x direction (thus opposing the tire's backwards push in the road surface).

gneill said:
In order for the car to accelerate in the +x direction, its tires must push back against the road surface, in the -x direction. The force that prevents the tire from slipping is the static friction. So the static friction must act in the +x direction (thus opposing the tire's backwards push in the road surface).

OH MY GOD !

I forgot that tires are rolling ... Damn it that was a dumb mistake ...

jehan, I am really sorry for the wrong answer ... :(

Thank you gneill for correcting me.

Related to How Does Friction Affect Acceleration in High-Performance Race Cars?

1) What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2) How do forces affect motion?

Forces are responsible for causing changes in an object's motion. An unbalanced force will cause an object to accelerate in the direction of the force, while a balanced force will not cause any change in motion. Forces can also change the direction of an object's motion or cause it to come to a stop.

3) What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of an object's inertia, or resistance to change in motion. It is a constant property of an object and is not affected by gravity. Weight, on the other hand, is a measure of the force of gravity on an object and can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational pull. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in newtons.

4) How do you calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. Force is measured in newtons (N).

5) How can you use Newton's laws to solve real-world problems?

Newton's laws can be applied to solve a variety of problems related to motion and forces. They can be used to predict the behavior of objects in motion, calculate the forces acting on an object, and determine the motion of an object after a collision. These principles are also essential in engineering and designing structures and machines that can withstand and utilize forces.