How does frame dragging cause a stick to rotate in the opposite direction?

In summary, frame dragging is an effect caused by the motion of a massive rotating object, described by an angular velocity field. It can cause changes in the motion of objects and has a rotational component that can make it seem like something is not rotating or rotating in the opposite direction.
Holesarecool
Now, I've read that frame dragging will cause an effect likened to planetary gears, where the spinning source is the sun gear and the object is the planetary gear. Here's where I get confused.

Suppose you had a straight meter stick aimed directly at a massive rotating object from an equitorial radius > EH. If the rotation of the object is from left to right from your perspective, it seems that from my example, the part of the stick closer to the object will start to rotate towards the right, and the rear of the stick will rotate towards the left.

Now, since the material on the left hand side of the object is spinning 'towards' the stick, and the material on the right is moving away, shouldn't the affect of gravity be larger coming from the left hand side of the object? In the same sense that the light coming off of it will be at a higher wavelength on the left than the right due to GR.

I'm sure I've gone astray with an assumption here or there, but shouldn't this situation lead to a stick rotating in the opposite direction as predicted by frame dragging?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Holesarecool said:
Now, I've read that frame dragging will cause an effect likened to planetary gears, where the spinning source is the sun gear and the object is the planetary gear. Here's where I get confused.

Suppose you had a straight meter stick aimed directly at a massive rotating object from an equitorial radius > EH. If the rotation of the object is from left to right from your perspective, it seems that from my example, the part of the stick closer to the object will start to rotate towards the right, and the rear of the stick will rotate towards the left.

Now, since the material on the left hand side of the object is spinning 'towards' the stick, and the material on the right is moving away, shouldn't the affect of gravity be larger coming from the left hand side of the object? In the same sense that the light coming off of it will be at a higher wavelength on the left than the right due to GR.

I'm sure I've gone astray with an assumption here or there, but shouldn't this situation lead to a stick rotating in the opposite direction as predicted by frame dragging?

Thanks

In GR the effective gravitational "force" is not due only to the scalar effect of the source mass (like an electrostatic field) but also has components due to the motion of the source material (like a magnetic field, only more complicated). Frame dragging is a direct effect of source motion.

Frame dragging (at least the rotational component) does not in itself cause motion locally; it is changes in frame dragging (with time or with changing position) which cause motion.

Rotational frame dragging is described by an angular velocity field. Locally, rotational frame dragging has the effect that something which is rotating at the rate which matches the frame dragging field feels as if it is not rotating and something which is at rest relative to the coordinate system experiences effects as if it were rotating the opposite way.

Related to How does frame dragging cause a stick to rotate in the opposite direction?

1. What is frame dragging?

Frame dragging, also known as the Lense-Thirring effect, is a phenomenon in general relativity where the rotation of a massive object in spacetime causes the surrounding spacetime to be dragged along, affecting the motion of nearby objects.

2. How does frame dragging affect objects?

Frame dragging affects the motion of objects by altering their predicted trajectory, causing them to precess around the rotating massive object. This effect is most noticeable in systems with strong gravitational fields, such as black holes or neutron stars.

3. What is the significance of frame dragging in physics?

Frame dragging plays a crucial role in our understanding of gravity and spacetime. It is one of the predictions of Einstein's theory of general relativity and has been confirmed by various experiments, including the Gravity Probe B mission.

4. Can frame dragging be observed in everyday life?

No, frame dragging is a very subtle effect and can only be observed in systems with extremely strong gravitational fields. In everyday life, the effects of frame dragging are too small to be noticeable.

5. How does frame dragging relate to other theories of gravity?

Frame dragging is a unique effect predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. It differs from other theories of gravity, such as Newton's theory of gravity, which do not account for the dragging of spacetime by rotating objects.