How Does Finite Size Scaling Reveal Cluster Behavior in 1D Percolation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of simulating one dimensional percolation in Python. The goal is to find the largest connected cluster of sites and use finite size scaling to show that the probability of any site belonging to the largest cluster vanishes in the thermodynamic limit. The question also provides hints on how to approach the problem, such as using N raised to a power between 2 and 5 for finite size scaling. The conversation also touches on the confusion surrounding 1D percolation and provides a link for visualizing a 1D array of sites.
Mikkel
TL;DR Summary
Simulate 1d percolation. I have to show that the probability of any site belonging to the largest cluster vanishes as N -> infinity
Hello

I am struggeling with a problem, or perhaps more with understanding the problem.
I have to simulate a one dimensional percolation in Python and that part I can do. The issue is understanding the next line of the problem, which I will post here:
"For the largest cluster size S, use finite size scaling, i.e., allow N to increase and plot s ≡ S/N vs. 1/N, to show that the probability of any site to belong to the largest cluster vanishes in the thermodynamic limit. Hint: Use N raised to some power between 2 and 5".
So, the way I understand this is to, let N increase some amount each iteration and find the largest cluster. I save these values and plot S/N vs. 1/N ending up with the attached plot.
I'm just unsure wheter or not this is correctly interpreted and would love to hear others input
Percolation1D.png

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to post the original question, exactly as it was presented.
If you present your interpretation only, it will prevent us from identifying your misunderstanding.
Please provide a reference, or a link to the original source of the question.

Baluncore said:
I think you need to post the original question, exactly as it was presented.
If you present your interpretation only, it will prevent us from identifying your misunderstanding.
Please provide a reference, or a link to the original source of the question.
You might be right, but the whole question is pretty much in the quotation marks. I will post the entire question below:
"For a given value of p, 0 ≤ p ≤ 1, numerically find the largest connected cluster of sites. For the largest cluster size S, use finite size scaling, i.e., allow N to increase and plot s ≡ S/N vs. 1/N, to show that the probability of any site to belong to the largest cluster vanishes in the thermodynamic limit. (Hint: reasonable system sizes for finite size scaling are N = 10m, with m ∈ {2,3,4,5}.)"

3D percolation involves connectivity from the top 2D layer to the bottom 2D layer.
2D percolation involves connectivity from the top row of sites to the bottom row of sites.
1D percolation is more confusing.

You could consider a 1D column of sites. It will be open only if all sites from top to bottom are open.
Alternatively, a horizontal 1D line of sites, with percolation downwards, across one layer only, will be open if anyone site is open.

How do you visualise a 1D array of sites ?

http://web.mit.edu/8.334/www/grades/projects/projects10/Gardner_Webpage/OneD.htm

Last edited:

Related to How Does Finite Size Scaling Reveal Cluster Behavior in 1D Percolation?

1. What is one dimensional percolation?

One dimensional percolation is a mathematical model used to study the behavior of random systems in one dimension. It involves randomly placing objects or particles on a line and studying how they connect or "percolate" together.

2. What is the significance of studying one dimensional percolation?

Studying one dimensional percolation can provide insights into the behavior of more complex, higher dimensional systems. It is also used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science to model and understand real-world phenomena.

3. How is one dimensional percolation different from other types of percolation?

One dimensional percolation is unique in that it only considers connections along a single line, whereas other types of percolation, such as two or three dimensional percolation, consider connections in multiple dimensions. This makes the analysis and calculations simpler and more manageable.

4. What are some real-world applications of one dimensional percolation?

One dimensional percolation has been used to model the spread of infectious diseases, the flow of electricity in a network, and the behavior of polymers. It has also been used to study the properties of random sequences and fractals.

5. What are some current research topics in one dimensional percolation?

Some current research topics in one dimensional percolation include the study of percolation in non-uniform systems, the behavior of percolation with varying probabilities, and the use of percolation models to study phase transitions in physical systems.