How does eye strain affect the length of the eyeball?

In summary: While there may be a correlation, the usual cause attributed to such is age related. Muscles may be essential to proper function of the muscle, including muscles of the eye, and with age, they may become more tired and stressed.
BHL 20
Ever since I learned that short-sightedness is due to the eyeball being too long, and far-sightedness is due to the eyeball being too short, I've wondered what the point of avoiding eye strain is. How could straining the eyes possibly have the effect of changing the length of the eyeball? By strain I mean both trying to see things very far away and close-up; and the continued use of eyes when they are tired.

Biology news on Phys.org
While there may be a correlation, the usual cause attributed to such is age related. Muscle stress may be essential to proper function of the muscle, including muscles of the eye.

You do know that strain is dl/l?

BHL 20 said:
Ever since I learned that short-sightedness is due to the eyeball being too long, and far-sightedness is due to the eyeball being too short, I've wondered what the point of avoiding eye strain is. How could straining the eyes possibly have the effect of changing the length of the eyeball? By strain I mean both trying to see things very far away and close-up; and the continued use of eyes when they are tired.
I think Doug is correct, myopia often develops with age. As far as I know, normal eye strain (simply focusing on objects for a rather long time) won't damage the eyes or change their anatomy in any way. Apparently however, straining on distances at short range (aka a computer screen) can result in the eye to lengthen and thus near nearsightedness to progress, but I wouldn't know if that is for sure o_O. If it is, then I should probably get off of the internet so I don't become blind.. Hope this helps.

BHL 20 said:

Eyestrain appears unrelated to the shape of the eyeball- it seems to be fatigue in the muscle that controls blinking:

http://journals.lww.com/optvissci/A...ed_Pain_Induced_by_Visually_Demanding.13.aspx

I can understand your curiosity about the connection between eye strain and the length of the eyeball. However, it is important to note that the length of the eyeball is not directly affected by eye strain. Instead, eye strain can contribute to the development or worsening of myopia (short-sightedness) and hyperopia (far-sightedness).

Eye strain occurs when the muscles in and around the eyes are overworked, causing fatigue and discomfort. When this happens, the eyes may have difficulty focusing properly, leading to blurred vision. Over time, this can cause the eye to elongate or shorten, resulting in myopia or hyperopia.

In addition, prolonged eye strain can also lead to changes in the shape of the cornea, the clear outer layer of the eye. This can further contribute to the development of myopia or hyperopia.

Therefore, avoiding eye strain is important not only for reducing discomfort and fatigue, but also for maintaining healthy vision. This can be achieved by taking regular breaks from activities that require intense focus, maintaining proper lighting and ergonomics, and practicing good eye hygiene such as blinking regularly and keeping the eyes hydrated.

In summary, while eye strain may not directly change the length of the eyeball, it can contribute to the development or worsening of myopia and hyperopia. By avoiding eye strain, we can help maintain healthy vision and prevent these conditions from developing.

Related to How does eye strain affect the length of the eyeball?

What is eye strain?

Eye strain, also known as asthenopia, is a condition where the eyes become tired or strained after extended periods of use. It can be caused by activities such as reading, using electronic devices, or driving for long periods of time.

How does eye strain affect vision?

Eye strain can cause a variety of symptoms including blurred vision, double vision, headaches, and dry or watery eyes. It can also make it difficult to focus on objects, especially up close.

What role does eyeball length play in eye strain?

Eyeball length is an important factor in determining how easily the eye can focus on objects. If the eyeball is too long or too short, it can cause the light entering the eye to focus in front of or behind the retina, leading to vision problems and potential eye strain.

Can eye strain be prevented?

Yes, there are several ways to prevent or reduce eye strain. These include taking frequent breaks when using electronic devices, adjusting lighting to reduce glare, and practicing good posture when reading or using a computer.

When should I see a doctor for eye strain?

If you experience persistent or severe eye strain, it is important to see a doctor for a comprehensive eye exam. This can help identify any underlying issues and determine the best course of treatment for your specific needs.