How Does Energy Conservation Apply to a Rotating Pulley System?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pulley and block system with given values for the radius, mass of the block, and mass of the object. The problem is solved using energy conservation principles and equations of motion. The conversation then moves on to a more complicated problem involving two blocks connected by a cord wrapped around a disk. The equations and steps to solve the problem are discussed, including the replacement of alpha with a/R in the third equation. Ultimately, the problem is solved by systematically eliminating variables and dividing equations to isolate the T's and find the acceleration. The conversation ends with the participant expressing their gratitude for the help and realizing the benefits of using online resources for understanding difficult physics concepts.
snoggerT

Homework Statement

(a) If R = 12 cm, M = 500 g, and m = 50 g (below), find the speed of the block after it has descended 50 cm starting from rest. Solve the problem using energy conservation principles.

- The pulley is setup on the corner of a desk with the object hanging from it. M is the Pulley, m is the object, R is the radius of the pulley.

Homework Equations

mg-T=ma
-RT=1/2MR^2(alpha)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start on this problem. I don't know how to combine the 2 equations or relate them. The only thing I know is that if I can find alpha, I can find the tangential acceleration. That would be the same as the acceleration of the object going down, so I could use equations of motion to find out the speed. At least I think that's how it would work. please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: How are alpha and the tangential acceleration related?

Doc Al said:
Hint: How are alpha and the tangential acceleration related?

- They are related by the radius of the disk with the equation alpha=a(tangential)/r, but I'm having problems finding alpha since I am missing alpha and T in my equations. Could I substitute a/r in for alpha to cancel out one of the R^2 in the 1/2MR^2 and get TR=1/2MRa? That would all me to get a=2T/M and plug into mg-T=ma. That would then allow me to solve for T and then for alpha. Is that legal to do?

Absolutely. It's not only legal, it's the only way to solve the problem! :smile:

Since the pulley and block are connected, their motions (and accelerations) are not independent. [itex]a = \alpha R[/itex] describes how they are connected.

That worked for that problem, but now I have another problem that is more complicated. I think I can work it out if I just get a hint to start it off. Here's the problem:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the figure below, two blocks, of mass m1 = 320 g and m2 = 610 g, are connected by a massless cord that is wrapped around a uniform disk of mass M = 500 g and radius R = 12.0 cm. The disk can rotate without friction about a fixed horizontal axis through its center; the cord cannot slip on the disk. The system is released from rest.

Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the blocks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think the way I solved the last problem would work because I have 2 T's now. How would you even begin this one?

Yes, there are two T's, but you have three things to analyze and thus three equations. Set up an equation for each and link them together. Be very careful with signs. If one mass goes up, the other must go down.

Doc Al said:
Yes, there are two T's, but you have three things to analyze and thus three equations. Set up an equation for each and link them together. Be very careful with signs. If one mass goes up, the other must go down.

- my equations would be:
m2g-T2=m2a (the right side going down)
T1-m1g=m1a (the left side going up)
T2R-T1R=1/2MR^2(alpha)

correct? I know how to combine the first 2 equations, but my problem is coming in how to combine the 3rd equation.

Use the same trick as before! Then you'll have three equations and three unknowns: a and the two T's.

Doc Al said:
Use the same trick as before! Then you'll have three equations and three unknowns: a and the two T's.

- I can't seem to figure this one out like the last one. Were the 3 equations I listed above correct? it's the two T's in the 3rd equation that are throwing me off.

snoggerT said:
- I can't seem to figure this one out like the last one. Were the 3 equations I listed above correct? it's the two T's in the 3rd equation that are throwing me off.
They are perfectly correct.

snoggerT said:
- my equations would be:
m2g-T2=m2a (the right side going down)
T1-m1g=m1a (the left side going up)
T2R-T1R=1/2MR^2(alpha)
In that third equation, replace alpha with a/R:

[tex]m_2g - T_2 = m_2a[/tex]
[tex]T_1 - m_1g = m_1a[/tex]
[tex]T_2R - T_1R = 1/2 MR^2(a/R) = (1/2)MRa[/tex]

There are many ways to solve these simultaneous equations. Don't be afraid to play around with them. Try multiplying the first two by R and adding them together. Then you can use the third to eliminate the two Ts and solve for a.

You can always just systematically eliminate the variables.

Doc Al said:
They are perfectly correct.

In that third equation, replace alpha with a/R:

[tex]m_2g - T_2 = m_2a[/tex]
[tex]T_1 - m_1g = m_1a[/tex]
[tex]T_2R - T_1R = 1/2 MR^2(a/R) = (1/2)MRa[/tex]

There are many ways to solve these simultaneous equations. Don't be afraid to play around with them. Try multiplying the first two by R and adding them together. Then you can use the third to eliminate the two Ts and solve for a.

You can always just systematically eliminate the variables.

- Thanks, I ended up dividing the 3rd equation by R to single out my T's. Then was able to find my a and solve the rest of the problem. I didn't know you could just divide/multiply equations by the variables like that to get what you wanted. I need to spend a lot more time on this board though, I've been struggling pretty bad with my physics class. The problems I've gotten help with on here make sense now.

Related to How Does Energy Conservation Apply to a Rotating Pulley System?

What is Newton's 2nd Law for Rotation?

Newton's 2nd Law for Rotation states that the angular acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net torque applied to the object and inversely proportional to its moment of inertia.

How is torque defined in relation to Newton's 2nd Law for Rotation?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object and is defined as the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the relationship between angular acceleration and moment of inertia in Newton's 2nd Law for Rotation?

According to Newton's 2nd Law for Rotation, angular acceleration is inversely proportional to the moment of inertia. This means that objects with a larger moment of inertia will have a smaller angular acceleration when the same torque is applied, and vice versa.

Does Newton's 2nd Law for Rotation apply to all types of rotational motion?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law for Rotation applies to all types of rotational motion, whether it is a rotating solid object or a spinning particle.

How is Newton's 2nd Law for Rotation related to Newton's 2nd Law for linear motion?

Newton's 2nd Law for Rotation is essentially the rotational equivalent of Newton's 2nd Law for linear motion. Both laws state that the net force or torque applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass or moment of inertia and its resulting acceleration. However, Newton's 2nd Law for Rotation takes into account the rotational aspects of motion, such as angular acceleration and moment of inertia.