How Does Elevator Acceleration Affect Spring Extension?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a 1.6kg mass is suspended from a string in a stationary elevator. The spring attached to the mass stretches 12cm. When the elevator accelerates upward, the spring extends a further 12cm. The problem is to determine the acceleration in the elevator. The conversation suggests using the force constant of the spring and considering the equivalence principle to solve the problem. It also recommends drawing a free-body diagram and using Newton's second law.
nubshat
A 1.6kg mass is suspended from a string in a stationary elevator. The spring stretches 12cm. The elevator now accelerates upward, and the spring extends a further 12cm. What is the acceleration in the elevator?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should show you tried at least to solve the problem if you want an answer... if we know where you have the problem, we can help you understand it

Ignore this post

tia89 said:
You should show you tried at least to solve the problem if you want an answer... if we know where you have the problem, we can help you understand it

I tried to solve it, but I'm not succeeding. So far I have managed to calculate the force constant of the spring, but I don't know what to do next

Ok then, if you now have the force constant of the spring you can pass to the accelerated elevator case... what happens when you observe an accelerated frame? Remember the equivalence principle, stating that an acceleration in one direction is equivalent to an additional gravitational field in the opposite direction... which "apparent" gravitational field do you need to elongate the spring further? How do you balance all the forces to be stationary again?

nubshat said:
I tried to solve it, but I'm not succeeding. So far I have managed to calculate the force constant of the spring, but I don't know what to do next

Draw a free-body diagram for the mass and then use Newton 2.

Related to How Does Elevator Acceleration Affect Spring Extension?

1. What is the purpose of a spring in an elevator?

The main purpose of a spring in an elevator is to act as a shock absorber and provide a smooth and comfortable ride for passengers. It helps to reduce the impact of sudden stops or starts, making the elevator ride more pleasant.

2. How does a spring in an elevator work?

The spring in an elevator works by compressing or expanding in response to the movement of the elevator car. When the elevator starts or stops, the spring absorbs the energy and prevents it from being transferred to the passengers, resulting in a smoother ride.

3. What materials are used to make a spring in an elevator?

The most commonly used material for springs in elevators is steel. This is because steel is strong, durable, and can withstand the constant pressure and movement of the elevator. Other materials such as titanium and carbon fiber may also be used for specialized elevators.

4. How does the length and tension of the spring affect the elevator's movement?

The length and tension of the spring are crucial factors in determining the speed and movement of the elevator. The longer the spring, the slower the elevator will move, while a shorter spring will result in a faster movement. Similarly, a tighter spring will provide a smoother ride compared to a looser spring.

5. How often should the spring in an elevator be replaced?

The lifespan of a spring in an elevator can vary depending on factors such as usage, weight capacity, and maintenance. However, on average, springs should be replaced every 5-7 years to ensure optimal performance and passenger safety.