How Does Electron Charge Density Affect Electric Field in a Hydrogen Atom?

In summary, the electron charge density of a hydrogen atom in its ground state is described by a function that takes into account the Bohr radius. The E field due to this charge distribution can be calculated using Coulomb's law and by integrating the expression over all space. This works because the charge distribution has spherical symmetry.
bon

Homework Statement

The electron charge density of a hydrogen atom in its ground state is given by:

p(r) = -e/ pi a^3 exp(-2r/a) where a is the Bohr radius

Show the E field due to the cloud is given by:

E(r) = e/4pi episllon0 ( (exp(-2r/a) -1)/r^2 + 2exp(-2r/a)/ar + 2exp(-2r/a)/a^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the E field is given by: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb\'s_law#Continuous_charge_distribution

I\'m trying to understand a solution I\'ve been provided with... but the solution takes out a factor of 1/4pi e0 r^2 then integrates the expression over all space (r\' ^2 sintheta, dtheta dphi dr\') to get the right answer..

I don't understand why this works...surely each little element of charge is a different distance away from the point r (i.e. r-r\')?

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the ground state, the charge distribution has spherical symmetry, independent on direction. It can be assumed the same for the electric field that it is function of r alone. Apply Gauss' Law.

ehild

Related to How Does Electron Charge Density Affect Electric Field in a Hydrogen Atom?

1. What is an electron cloud electric field?

The electron cloud electric field is a concept in physics that describes the distribution of charged particles, specifically electrons, around an atom or molecule. It is the result of the attraction between the negatively charged electrons and the positively charged nucleus.

2. How does the electron cloud electric field affect the behavior of atoms?

The strength and distribution of the electron cloud electric field determine an atom's properties, such as its size and reactivity. It also plays a crucial role in chemical bonding, as atoms with a stronger electron cloud electric field are more likely to form bonds with other atoms.

3. Can the electron cloud electric field be measured?

The electron cloud electric field cannot be directly measured, but its effects can be observed through different experiments and calculations. For example, spectroscopy techniques can provide information about an atom's electron cloud and its energy levels.

4. How does the electron cloud electric field change with the addition or removal of electrons?

The electron cloud electric field becomes stronger with the addition of electrons, as there are more negative charges present to interact with the positively charged nucleus. Conversely, removing electrons weakens the electron cloud electric field, as there are fewer negative charges to balance out the positive charge of the nucleus.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the electron cloud electric field?

Understanding the electron cloud electric field is crucial in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and electronics. It allows scientists to predict and manipulate the properties of atoms and molecules, which is essential in the development of new materials and technologies.