How does electro dynamical instruments work?

In summary, the electro dynamical instrument consists of a moving coil and a stationary coil. The moving coil moves around the stationary coil, creating a homogenous magnetic field. The moving coil also moves around an axis and is held in place by coil springs. In this type of instrument, aluminum is used as a break. However, in electro dynamical instruments, air pressure is used as a break. The placement of the air pressure in the instrument is not specified and may vary depending on the design.
0fibonacci1
I know that electro dynamical instrument has moving coil and stationary coil, and moving coil moves around it, does stationary coil make homogenic magnetic field? And moving coil moves around axis, and we have coil springs where they are placed and what they do? In instrument with moving coil we use aluminuim as a break, but in electro dynamical we use air pressure where is it placed? Correct me if I was wrong somewhere and explain how it properly works.

Engineering news on Phys.org
0fibonacci1 said:
I know that electro dynamical instrument has moving coil and stationary coil, and moving coil moves around it, does stationary coil make homogenic magnetic field? And moving coil moves around axis, and we have coil springs where they are placed and what they do? In instrument with moving coil we use aluminuim as a break, but in electro dynamical we use air pressure where is it placed? Correct me if I was wrong somewhere and explain how it properly works.

Since this is not a mainstream thing that modern EEs deal with every day, could you please post some links to basic information about these devices? And if you could post some links to info that refers to your questions and confusions, that would help us to help give you answers.

Related to How does electro dynamical instruments work?

1. What is an electro dynamical instrument?

An electro dynamical instrument is a device that uses the principles of electromagnetism to measure and record electrical currents, voltage, and other electrical quantities. This includes instruments such as voltmeters, ammeters, and wattmeters.

2. How does an electro dynamical instrument work?

An electro dynamical instrument works by using the interaction between magnetic fields and electric currents to produce a mechanical force, which is then used to indicate the electrical quantity being measured. The force is typically created by the movement of a coil of wire within a magnetic field.

3. What is the role of a galvanometer in an electro dynamical instrument?

A galvanometer is a key component in an electro dynamical instrument, as it is responsible for detecting and measuring the electrical current or voltage being measured. It typically consists of a coil of wire suspended within a magnetic field, which moves in response to the current passing through it.

4. How accurate are electro dynamical instruments?

The accuracy of an electro dynamical instrument depends on several factors, including the design and construction of the instrument, as well as the calibration process. Generally, modern electro dynamical instruments have a high level of accuracy, with some instruments being able to measure quantities with an accuracy of 0.1% or less.

5. Can electro dynamical instruments measure both AC and DC currents?

Yes, electro dynamical instruments can measure both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) currents. However, different types of instruments may be better suited for measuring one type of current over the other. For example, a moving coil meter is typically used to measure DC currents, while a moving iron meter is better suited for AC currents.