How Does Elastic Limit Influence Artificial Gravity in a Rotating Cylinder?

In summary, the problem is to determine the limit on the radius of a rotating cylinder that creates artificial gravity. The limit is based on the elastic limit, E, the density of the material, rho, and the desired fractional gravity, ag. The hint given is to assume the cylinder wall is "thin" and consider forces on a small segment of a ring rotating with angular velocity omega. The force required to keep the two halves of the ring together cannot exceed the elastic limit, and it can be calculated by dividing the total force (centripetal) by the contact area between the two halves. An integral over theta will be involved, and the restoring force will depend on the radius, angular speed, and thickness of the cylinder. The net
wyiyn
I've been staring at this problem for quite a while now, and I don't really know how to approach it. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

What we have is a rotating cylinder to create artificial gravity (equivalent gravitation acceleration of ag where a is a constant). We are asked to determine the limit on the radius in terms of the elastic limit, E, the density of the material, rho, and the desired fractional gravity, ag.

There was a hint given to assume the cylinder wall is "thin" and start by considering forces on a small segment of a ring rotating with angular velocity omega. Considering limit of delta (theta) goes to 0 would be useful.

The only thing I've got out of this is that the force has to equal the centipetal force, and so ag = mr(omega)^2. I don't know how to deal with the elastic limit, or get the omega out of the equation.

Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
wyiyn said:
I've been staring at this problem for quite a while now, and I don't really know how to approach it. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

What we have is a rotating cylinder to create artificial gravity (equivalent gravitation acceleration of ag where a is a constant). We are asked to determine the limit on the radius in terms of the elastic limit, E, the density of the material, rho, and the desired fractional gravity, ag.

There was a hint given to assume the cylinder wall is "thin" and start by considering forces on a small segment of a ring rotating with angular velocity omega. Considering limit of delta (theta) goes to 0 would be useful.

The only thing I've got out of this is that the force has to equal the centipetal force, and so ag = mr(omega)^2. I don't know how to deal with the elastic limit, or get the omega out of the equation.

Any help would be great!
Where does the force come from that is providing the centripetal acceleration? Think about dividing the ring into two halves. What holds the halves together?

Ok, so just like a rope, this is held together with tension. But I'm just confused about how to relate tension to this elastic limit stuff.

wyiyn said:
Ok, so just like a rope, this is held together with tension. But I'm just confused about how to relate tension to this elastic limit stuff.
The elastic limit is in terms of stress, which is force per unit area. If you can calculate the force required to keep the two halves together and divide by the contact area between the two halves you have the stress. The stress cannot exceed the elastic limit.

Yeah, I guess the problem is determining the force. I know that the total force (centripetal) has to equal the ag, but I can't quite seem to get a handle on how to define this other force.

I have a sneaking suspicion that an integral over theta will be involved, setting that equal to ag, and solving for r. But the problem is finding what's all involved in the restoring force. I've been sitting playing with elastic bands, and all I've noticed is that the tension will depend on the radius, the angular speed and the thickness (but we have a 'thin' cylinder)... so I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not sure what to do with restoring force.

wyiyn said:
Yeah, I guess the problem is determining the force. I know that the total force (centripetal) has to equal the ag, but I can't quite seem to get a handle on how to define this other force.

I have a sneaking suspicion that an integral over theta will be involved, setting that equal to ag, and solving for r. But the problem is finding what's all involved in the restoring force. I've been sitting playing with elastic bands, and all I've noticed is that the tension will depend on the radius, the angular speed and the thickness (but we have a 'thin' cylinder)... so I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not sure what to do with restoring force.
There is an integral involved. Every bit of mass in the ring is accelerating toward the center of the circle, so it experiences a force in that direction. The net force acting on half the ring is perpendicular to the diameter that cuts the ring in half. You need to integrate over the force components that are additive and ignore the ones that cancel. If you take the right half of the ring using a vertical diameter, the additive components are horizontal to the left. The force that keeps that half of the ring connected to the other half is the tension in ring at the top and bottom.

Related to How Does Elastic Limit Influence Artificial Gravity in a Rotating Cylinder?

1. What is the Artificial Gravity Problem?

The Artificial Gravity Problem refers to the challenge of creating a simulated gravitational force in a space environment, as astronauts and spacecraft experience weightlessness in orbit. This is necessary for long-term space travel and habitation, as prolonged exposure to microgravity can have negative effects on the human body.

2. How is artificial gravity currently achieved?

Currently, artificial gravity is achieved through the use of centrifugal force or rotating habitats. In this method, the spacecraft or habitat rotates, creating a centrifugal force that simulates the effects of gravity. This has been successfully used in some spacecraft, such as the International Space Station.

3. What are the challenges in creating artificial gravity?

One of the main challenges in creating artificial gravity is the cost and technological limitations. Building and maintaining large rotating habitats can be expensive and require advanced technology. Additionally, the effects of artificial gravity may vary depending on the size and shape of the rotating structure, making it difficult to determine the optimal design.

4. Can artificial gravity have negative effects on the human body?

While artificial gravity can help mitigate the negative effects of microgravity on the human body, it can also have its own set of challenges. The rapid change in gravitational force as astronauts move between different parts of a rotating habitat can cause motion sickness and disorientation. Additionally, there is still limited research on the long-term effects of artificial gravity on the human body.

5. Are there any alternatives to artificial gravity?

Apart from rotating habitats, there are some proposed alternatives to artificial gravity, such as using magnetic fields or acceleration-based systems. However, these methods also have their own challenges and limitations, and further research is needed to determine their feasibility for long-term space travel and habitation.