How Does Dust Grain Size Compare to Wavelength in Scattering Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a reference on the wavelength dependence of dust grains, specifically when the size of the grain is about the size of the incoming light (s~lambda). The texts mentioned in the conversation provide information for cases when s<<lambda and s>>lambda, but the desired reference is for the s~lambda regime where scattering dominates with a rayleigh scattering dependence of thomson*(s/lambda)^4. The person responding suggests looking into Mie theory or Mie scattering as a potential solution, but admits to not fully understanding the concept.
AriAstronomer
Hey everyone,
So I've been killing myself trying to find a good reference that talks about the wavelength dependence of dust grains when the size of the grain is about the size of the incoming light, or s~lambda. I have numerous references for when s<<lambda (absorption dominates with a s/lambda*thomson cross section dependence) and when s>>lambda (absorption again dominates and the cross section is simply the thomson cross section), but all the texts I've sifted through so far shy away from s~lambda though. My intuition tells me that in this regime where s~lambda, scattering dominates with a rayleigh scattering dependence of thomson*(s/lambda)^4, but I need a reference somewhere which talks about this. Anyone know of any??

Ari

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about Mie theory or Mie scattering as a solution to your problem.
Don't ask me how it works because I have no clue.

Related to How Does Dust Grain Size Compare to Wavelength in Scattering Light?

1. What is grain size and why is it important?

Grain size refers to the average size of the individual grains or crystals in a material. It is important because it can affect the mechanical, physical, and chemical properties of a material, such as strength, ductility, and corrosion resistance.

2. How is grain size determined?

Grain size can be determined through various methods, including optical microscopy, electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction, and image analysis. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the type of material and specific research needs.

3. What factors can influence grain size?

Grain size can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the composition of the material, the rate of cooling or solidification, the presence of impurities or additives, and the processing conditions. Other external factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also impact grain size.

4. How does grain size affect the properties of a material?

Grain size can significantly affect the properties of a material. Generally, smaller grain size leads to higher strength and hardness, but lower ductility and toughness. Larger grain size, on the other hand, can result in lower strength but higher ductility and toughness. Grain size can also affect the thermal and electrical conductivity, as well as the surface finish of a material.

5. What is the significance of cross section analysis in studying grain size?

Cross section analysis involves examining a material's structure and properties through a cut or polished surface, rather than viewing it from above. This technique is important in studying grain size because it allows for a more accurate and detailed analysis of the individual grains and their distribution within a material. It can also reveal any variations in grain size throughout the material, which can provide valuable insights into the material's processing history and potential defects.