How Does Doubling Frequency Affect Wavelength on a Constant Tension String?

In summary, when the frequency of a wave on a string is doubled while the tension remains constant, the wavelength is halved. This can be confirmed mathematically using the equation V=λ/τ, where V is the velocity (constant), λ is the wavelength, and τ is the tension. This applies to traveling waves on the string, where the frequency is doubled from a source at one end of the string.
BizzPhizz

Homework Statement

This is a communication question, no variables given:

Predict what happens to the wavelength of a wave on a
string when the frequency is doubled. Assume that the
tension in the string remains the same. Confirm your
prediction mathematically.

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know is that my teacher said in a string the wave length is constant, so help me...

Please also show it mathematically c:

Thanks,
BizzPhizz

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about harmonics in strings, and how their wave lengths in the string relate to the string length?

Okay, Don't rage at me if I get this wrong, but

V=λ/τ or V=∫λ

∫ being frequency, I know the question stated there was no change in tension of the string so velocity must be constant.

I don't know why my teacher said wave length in a string is constant, if that's the case there would be no pitch.

So I can come to a conclusion that if frequency doubles, wave length halves..

I think I may have misinterpreted the question before. I thought this was about standing waves, but now I suspect it's about traveling waves. If so, the scenario is that some source is generating waves at one end of the string, and its frequency is then doubled, right? (But note that if this is right then your teacher's remark about wave length being constant does not apply here.)
What you can be sure about is that the velocity of the waves is constant (because the tension is constant). That being all correct, I agree with your conclusion.

I can provide a response to this question. When the frequency of a wave on a string is doubled, the wavelength will also be halved. This is known as the inverse relationship between wavelength and frequency. Mathematically, this can be represented by the equation:

λ = v/f

Where λ is the wavelength, v is the velocity of the wave, and f is the frequency. Since the velocity of the wave on a string remains constant, the only variable that changes is the frequency. Therefore, when we double the frequency, the wavelength will be halved.

To confirm this, let's assume that the frequency is initially f and the wavelength is λ. When we double the frequency, it becomes 2f. Plugging this into our equation, we get:

λ = v/2f

We can see that the wavelength has been halved.

I hope this helps answer your question, BizzPhizz. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

Related to How Does Doubling Frequency Affect Wavelength on a Constant Tension String?

What is a wave length in a string?

A wave length in a string refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a standing wave pattern. It is a measure of the physical length of the string that is responsible for producing the wave.

How is wave length in a string related to frequency?

Wave length and frequency are inversely proportional. This means that as the wave length decreases, the frequency increases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wave length = speed of the wave / frequency.

What factors affect the wave length in a string?

The wave length in a string is affected by the tension, mass, and length of the string. Higher tension and lower mass will result in a shorter wave length, while lower tension and higher mass will result in a longer wave length. Increasing the length of the string will also increase the wave length.

How is wave length in a string measured?

Wave length in a string can be measured by using a ruler or measuring tape to determine the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a standing wave pattern. It can also be calculated using the above mentioned equation: wave length = speed of the wave / frequency.

What is the significance of wave length in a string?

Wave length in a string is an important concept in understanding the behavior of waves. It is used to calculate other wave properties such as frequency, speed, and amplitude. It also helps in determining the resonant frequencies of a string, which is important in music and instrument making.