How Does Distance from Earth Affect Spacecraft Weight?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the weight of a spacecraft at different distances from the Earth's surface. The solution involves using the gravitational constant and the mass of the Earth, as well as understanding the inverse square law for gravitational force. By multiplying the original weight of the spacecraft by 1/4 and 1/9, the weight at distances of 12800km and 19200km can be determined.
Coco12

Homework Statement

The radius of the Earth is 6400km. A 7200n spacecraft travels away from the earth. what would be the weight of the spacecraft at the following distances from the Earths surface: 6400km, 12800km

Homework Equations

Fg=mg
F=Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Just want to confirm I'm doing this right
So first I want to find the mass of the spacecraft so I use the fg=mg formula. I know that the mass of the Earth is 5.98*10^24kg.

Gravitational constant is 6.67*10^-11

I use the universal gravitation formula

The r will just be the radius of the Earth PLUS the distance from the Earth's surface. (Converted to m)

Then just plug into the equation. Am I doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not wrong but too complicted. They give these nice numbers for a reason.
Look at the numbers. By what factor increases the distance? What does this tell about the change in force?

The factor increases by 2 (6400+6400) then 3 (6400+12800)

So u mean I would just multiply 7200 by 1/4 for the distance 12800 from th Earth's center
And 1/9 for the distance 19200 ?

Coco12 said:

So u mean I would just multiply 7200 by 1/4 for the distance 12800 from th Earth's center

You have what is known as 'an inverse square law'

ie

Force due to gravity decreases with 1/r^2

Coco12 said:

Yes. This will do it.

Related to How Does Distance from Earth Affect Spacecraft Weight?

What is the Law of Universal Gravitation?

The Law of Universal Gravitation is a physical law that states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Who discovered the Law of Universal Gravitation?

The Law of Universal Gravitation was first proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687 in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica". However, the concept of gravity was also discovered by other scientists such as Galileo Galilei and Johannes Kepler.

What are the key principles of the Law of Universal Gravitation?

The key principles of the Law of Universal Gravitation are that every object in the universe has mass and exerts a force of attraction on every other object, the strength of this force is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, and the force acts along the line joining the centers of the two objects.

How does the Law of Universal Gravitation apply to the movement of planets?

The Law of Universal Gravitation explains the movement of planets in their orbits around the sun. The sun's large mass creates a gravitational force that keeps the planets in their orbits, while the planets' smaller masses and greater distances from the sun result in a weaker gravitational force that allows them to maintain their distance from the sun.

Is the Law of Universal Gravitation applicable only on Earth?

No, the Law of Universal Gravitation applies to all objects in the universe, regardless of their size, mass, or location. This law governs the motion of celestial bodies, such as stars and planets, as well as smaller objects, such as apples falling from trees on Earth.