How Does De Moivre's Identity Help Solve Trigonometric Equations?

• Thread starter subzero0137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, you must set the coefficient of cos(4x) to zero in order to find valid values of a and b for the given equation using de Moivre's identity. This ensures that the equation holds for all values of x. Two random values of x would not have been sufficient checks for the values of a and b, as the equation must hold for all values of x.
subzero0137
Use de Moivre's identity to find real values of a and b in the equation below such that the equation is valid.

[itex]cos^6(x)+sin^6(x)+a(cos^4(x)+sin^4(x))+b=0[/itex]

Hint: Write [itex]cos(x)[/itex] & [itex]sin(x)[/itex] in terms of [itex]e^{ix}[/itex] & [itex]e^{-ix}[/itex].

Check your values of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are valid by substituting in a value of [itex]x[/itex]. State, with explanation, two values of [itex]x[/itex]which would not have been sufficient checks on your values of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex].

I've managed to obtain the following expression:

[itex]\frac{3}{8}cos(4x)+\frac{a}{4}cos(4x)+\frac{3a}{4}+\frac{5}{8}+b=0[/itex], and I checked the model solution, and this is the expression they've got too. But then they simply state [itex]a=\frac{-3}{2}[/itex], and work out [itex]b[/itex] from there. But I don't understand how they got that value for [itex]a[/itex]. Can someone explain to me what I'm missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation [itex]\frac{3}{8}cos(4x)+\frac{a}{4}cos(4x)+\frac{3a}{4}+\frac{5}{8}+b=0[/itex] has to be true for all values of ##x##.

So you can get two equations from it, similar to "equating coefficients" of polynomials, as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equating_coefficients

subzero0137 said:
Use de Moivre's identity to find real values of a and b in the equation below such that the equation is valid.

[itex]cos^6(x)+sin^6(x)+a(cos^4(x)+sin^4(x)+b=0[/itex]

Hint: Write [itex]cos(x)[/itex] & [itex]sin(x)[/itex] in terms of [itex]e^{ix}[/itex] & [itex]e^{-ix}[/itex].

Check your values of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are valid by substituting in a value of [itex]x[/itex]. State, with explanation, two values of [itex]x[/itex]which would not have been sufficient checks on your values of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex].

I've managed to obtain the following expression:

[itex]\frac{3}{8}cos(4x)+\frac{a}{4}cos(4x)+\frac{3a}{4}+\frac{5}{8}+b=0[/itex], and I checked the model solution, and this is the expression they've got too. But then they simply state [itex]a=\frac{-3}{2}[/itex], and work out [itex]b[/itex] from there. But I don't understand how they got that value for [itex]a[/itex]. Can someone explain to me what I'm missing?

You have
[tex] \left( \frac{3}{8} + \frac{a}{4} \right) \cos(4x) + \frac{5}{8} + b \equiv 0[/tex]
where ##\equiv## means that it is an identity that holds for all ##x## (much more than just an equation!). So, the coefficient of ##\cos(4x)## must vanish.

Ray Vickson said:
You have
[tex] \left( \frac{3}{8} + \frac{a}{4} \right) \cos(4x) + \frac{5}{8} + b \equiv 0[/tex]
where ##\equiv## means that it is an identity that holds for all ##x## (much more than just an equation!). So, the coefficient of ##cos(4x)## must vanish.

Okay, so I understand what AlephZero said. I picked 2 random values of x, obtained simultaneousness equations and solved them for a and b. I got a=-3/2 and b=1/2. But I don't understand the emboldened part. Why must the coefficient of ##cos(4x)## vanish?

Also, for the last part of the question where it asks for 2 values of x which would not have been sufficient checks, do I just write down the 2 random values I used before to get my simultaneous equations?

Last edited:
subzero0137 said:
Okay, so I understand what AlephZero said. I picked 2 random values of x, obtained simultaneousness equations and solved them for a and b. I got a=-3/2 and b=1/2. But I don't understand the emboldened part. Why must the coefficient of ##cos(4x)## vanish?

Also, for the last part of the question where it asks for 2 values of x which would not have been sufficient checks, do I just write down the 2 random values I used before to get my simultaneous equations?

The coefficient of cos(4x) must vanish because the equation must hold for ALL values of x; If the coefficient of cos(4x) did not vanish you could find infinitely many different values for x that would make the equation false.

Look at it this way: you could re-write the equation as
[tex] \left( \frac{3}{8} + \frac{a}{4} \right) \cos(4x) = - \frac{5}{8} - b [/tex]
The right-hand-side is a constant (not dependent on x), so the left-hand-side must also not depend on x. The only way you can make that happen is to set the coefficient of cos(4x) to zero.

Ray Vickson said:
The coefficient of cos(4x) must vanish because the equation must hold for ALL values of x; If the coefficient of cos(4x) did not vanish you could find infinitely many different values for x that would make the equation false.

Look at it this way: you could re-write the equation as
[tex] \left( \frac{3}{8} + \frac{a}{4} \right) \cos(4x) = - \frac{5}{8} - b [/tex]
The right-hand-side is a constant (not dependent on x), so the left-hand-side must also not depend on x. The only way you can make that happen is to set the coefficient of cos(4x) to zero.

Got it. Thanks

Related to How Does De Moivre's Identity Help Solve Trigonometric Equations?

1. What is the De Moivre identity problem?

The De Moivre identity problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the roots of complex numbers. Specifically, it refers to finding the roots of the equation (cos x + i sin x)^n = cos(nx) + i sin(nx), where n is a positive integer and i is the imaginary unit.

2. Who discovered the De Moivre identity problem?

The De Moivre identity problem is named after French mathematician Abraham de Moivre, who first discovered and published it in the 18th century. However, it is believed that Indian mathematician Madhava of Sangamagrama may have also discovered this identity centuries earlier.

3. What is the significance of the De Moivre identity problem?

The De Moivre identity problem is significant in various branches of mathematics, including complex analysis, trigonometry, and number theory. It has applications in solving differential equations, understanding the behavior of waves and periodic functions, and in the theory of complex numbers.

4. How is the De Moivre identity problem solved?

The De Moivre identity problem can be solved using a method called De Moivre's theorem, which states that the nth root of a complex number can be found by raising its modulus to the power of 1/n and multiplying it by the cosine and sine of the argument divided by n. This method can be applied recursively to find all the roots of the equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of the De Moivre identity problem?

The De Moivre identity problem has various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and signal processing. It is used to model and analyze periodic phenomena, such as the motion of pendulums and oscillating electrical circuits. It also has applications in understanding the behavior of waves, such as sound and electromagnetic waves.