How Does Damping Affect Oscillation Amplitude and Frequency?

In summary, the mass-spring system with a mass of 1.8 kg, spring constant of 7 N/m, and damping force of -270 g/sec experiences oscillations with an amplitude given by A(t) = A(0)e^(-bt/2m). Part a) asks for the time required for the amplitude to fall to one third of its initial value, which is found to be 14.64816 sec. To solve part b), we use the equation for period T = 2π√(m/k) and divide the total time by the period to find that the block will make approximately 16 oscillations in this time period.
ThirdEyeBlind

Homework Statement

The drawing to the left shows a mass m= 1.8 kg hanging from a spring with spring constant k = 7 N/m. The mass is also attached to a paddle which is emersed in a tank of water with a total depth of 27 cm. When the mass oscillates, the paddle acts as a damping force given by -b(dx/dt) where b= 270 g/sec. Suppose the mass is pulled down a distance 1.1 cm and released.

a) What is the time required for the amplitude of the resulting oscillations to fall to one third of its initial value?
ΔT = 14.64816 sec

b) How many oscillations are made by the block in this time?
?

Homework Equations

[tex]A(t)=A(0)e^{-bt/2m}[/tex]
?

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a) and the computer verified my answer so I know its correct. I am just stuck on part b. I think I need to somehow find the period and then take the time in a) and divide it by the period. My book is confusing and I am not sure which equation to use.

EDIT: Finally found equation for period. It was T= 2pi sqrt (k/m) and then I took my answer from a) and divided it by the period to get the answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just in case someone else has this problem.

Great job on solving part a)! To solve part b), you are correct in needing to find the period of oscillation. The period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, so if you divide the total time (14.64816 sec) by the period, you will get the number of oscillations made in that time.

The equation for the period of a mass-spring system is T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass and k is the spring constant. Plugging in the given values, we get T = 2π√(1.8/7) = 0.910 sec.

Dividing the total time from part a) by this period, we get 14.64816 sec / 0.910 sec = 16.09 oscillations. So, the block will make approximately 16 oscillations in the given time period.

Hope this helps!

Related to How Does Damping Affect Oscillation Amplitude and Frequency?

1. What is an oscillation?

An oscillation is a repeating back-and-forth motion or vibration between two points. It can be observed in various natural and man-made systems, such as a swinging pendulum or an electronic circuit.

2. What is a damped oscillation?

A damped oscillation is an oscillation that decreases in amplitude over time due to the dissipation of energy. This can be caused by external factors such as friction or internal factors such as resistance in an electrical circuit.

3. How does a damped oscillation differ from an undamped oscillation?

An undamped oscillation maintains a constant amplitude over time, while a damped oscillation decreases in amplitude. In an undamped system, there is no energy loss, while in a damped system, energy is continuously being dissipated.

4. What is the role of a damping factor in damped oscillations?

The damping factor determines the rate at which the amplitude of a damped oscillation decreases. A larger damping factor results in a faster decay of the oscillation, while a smaller damping factor leads to a slower decay.

5. How is the motion of a damped block described mathematically?

The motion of a damped block can be described by the equation: x(t) = Ae^(-γt)cos(ωt + φ), where A is the initial amplitude, γ is the damping factor, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the initial phase angle. This equation takes into account both the decreasing amplitude and the oscillatory behavior of the block.