How Does Covariant Derivative Relate to Curvature in Nonabelian Gauge Fields?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the relation between the covariant derivative and the curvature of a connection in a nonabelian Lie algebra. The problem is to prove the validity of this relation for any representation of the Lie algebra, particularly the fundamental representation. It is suggested that the proof can be reduced to checking the equality for the fundamental and contragradient irreducible representations. The conversation also touches on the gauge fields and field tensors involved in the problem.
wac03
Dear friends
I am here with mathematical physics question:
we know tha if i have a compact Lie group G with g its Lie algebra, and a connection A on the fibre,
For nonabelain Lie algebra
The relation between covariant derivative and the curvature of A is
Code:
[ tex ]\begin{equation*}[D_{m},D_{n}]F_{ab}=[F_{mn},F_{ab}]\end{equation*}[ /tex ]
for any representation of g the Lie algebra
with
D is the covariant derivative
F the curvature of the connection A
my problem:
I will be so grateful if someone could help me to prove that
Code:
[ tex ][D_{m},D_{n}]F_{ab}=[F_{mn},F_{ab}][ /tex ]
is valid for any representation of the Lie algebra g especially for the fundamental (defining) representation, because i already did it for the adjoint representation of g.
thank you in advance wissam

Physics news on Phys.org
You got me all lost here.Why doesn't the curvature have 4 suffixes...?What are the gauge fields (potentials) and the field tensors...?

Daniel.

the gauge field is the yang-mills

dextercioby said:
You got me all lost here.Why doesn't the curvature have 4 suffixes...?What are the gauge fields (potentials) and the field tensors...?

Daniel.
Dear daniel
Thank u for your interest in my question, the story here, physically talking means that the gauge field is the non-abelain gauge field "A_{mu}, and the field strength is the F_{mu nu}.
the gauge field is not the one of the gravidation
PS: please make difference between abelian( Maxwell theory), and non abelian (yang-Mills).
thank u
wissam

Do you know how to build any finite representation of the gauge group...?

In the case u do,u'll find that your problem reduces to checking the validity of that equality only in the case of the 2 fundamental (possibly inequivalent) irreps of the gauge group:the fundamental and its contragradient one.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Do you know how to build any finite representation of the gauge group...?

In the case u do,u'll find that your problem reduces to checking the validity of that equality only in the case of the 2 fundamental (possibly inequivalent) irreps of the gauge group:the fundamental and its contragradient one.

Daniel.
Dear daniel
we know that
F=dA+1/2[A,A]=dA+A^A (differential forms)
F_{mu nu}=[D_{mu},D_{nu}] in any local basis.
F here is g-valued
F_{mu nu}=F^a T_{a} where T_{a} is the generator of g.

In the irre. adjoint representation of g gives C_{ab}^{c}=(T_{a})^{c}_{b}
where C is the structure constant of g,
in the adjoint irr.rep the covariant derivative is
D=d+[A,-]

So using these facts, the equality in question is feasible.

my problem once again is:
i know that this relation is valid in any irr.rep of the algebra,
i will be so grateful if i can see the proof at least for the irr. fundemantal representation.
PS:
In any arbitrary representation, the covariant derivative written as
D=d+A without the commutator
A, F are G-valued
In components language for any field Q the covariant derivative is
(D^_{mu}Q)^{i}=\partial_{mu}Q^{i}+A^{a}(T_{a})_{j}^{i}Q^{j}
thank you
Wissam

[tex]\begin{equation*}[D_{m},D_{n}]F_{ab}=[F_{mn},F_{ab}]\end{equation*}[/tex] Sorry, I can't view this code, so I posted it to see what it looks like

Related to How Does Covariant Derivative Relate to Curvature in Nonabelian Gauge Fields?

1. What is a nonabelian gauge field?

A nonabelian gauge field is a mathematical construct used in theoretical physics to describe the interactions between elementary particles. It is a type of field that is not commutative, meaning the order in which operations are performed affects the result. Nonabelian gauge fields are used in theories such as the Standard Model to explain the strong and weak nuclear forces.

2. What is the difference between an abelian and nonabelian gauge field?

The main difference between an abelian and nonabelian gauge field is their commutativity. In an abelian gauge field, the order of operations does not affect the result, whereas in a nonabelian gauge field, it does. Additionally, abelian gauge fields have a simpler mathematical structure, while nonabelian gauge fields are more complex and require group theory to understand.

3. How are nonabelian gauge fields used in particle physics?

Nonabelian gauge fields are used in the Standard Model of particle physics to describe the strong and weak nuclear forces. They are crucial in understanding the interactions between particles and predicting their behavior. Nonabelian gauge fields also play a role in other theories, such as the grand unified theory, which attempts to unify all fundamental forces.

4. What are some properties of nonabelian gauge fields?

Nonabelian gauge fields have several properties that distinguish them from other types of fields. These include noncommutativity, local gauge invariance, and gauge symmetry. Additionally, nonabelian gauge fields are associated with gauge bosons, which are particles that mediate the interactions between other particles.

5. What is the role of nonabelian gauge fields in the Standard Model?

In the Standard Model, nonabelian gauge fields are used to describe the strong and weak nuclear forces. They are represented by the gluon and W and Z bosons, respectively. Nonabelian gauge fields are essential in this model because they allow for the description of the symmetries and interactions of elementary particles, leading to a more complete understanding of the universe.