How Does Constant Power Affect Car Acceleration Times?

In summary, the conversation discusses how long it would take for a car to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h, assuming constant power output and ignoring air resistance. The concept of using power to calculate the acceleration is mentioned, but it is ultimately determined that it is a simple acceleration problem and will take twice as long to accelerate from 0 to 100 as it does from 0 to 50 km/h.
sauri
This question; A car takes 3s to acclelerate from to 0 to 50 km/h. Assuming constant power output from the engines and ignoring air resistance, how long does it take to go from o to 100 Km/h?, has been bothering me. I orginally assumed I could use the basic kinamatic equations but the power output factor keeps throwing me off.

Using power P=W/t but how dO i associate W with the speeds?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't. It's a simple acceleration problem. It accelerates at a constant rate.

Assuming constant power output and ignoring all resistance, you will have constant acceleration. It will take twice as long to accelerate from 0 to 100 as from 0 to 50 km/h.

Related to How Does Constant Power Affect Car Acceleration Times?

What is a car's power output factor?

A car's power output factor refers to the amount of power that a car's engine produces, typically measured in horsepower (hp) or kilowatts (kW). It is a measure of the car's ability to convert fuel into mechanical energy.

How is a car's power output factor determined?

A car's power output factor is determined by various factors, including the size and type of engine, the fuel type and quality, and the efficiency of the car's components (such as the transmission and exhaust system).

What is the average power output factor for a car?

The average power output factor for a car can vary greatly depending on the make and model. However, most cars have an average power output factor of around 150-300 hp or 110-225 kW.

Does a higher power output factor mean a better car?

Not necessarily. While a higher power output factor can indicate a more powerful and potentially faster car, it is not the only factor that determines a car's overall performance. Other factors such as weight, aerodynamics, and handling also play a significant role.

Can the power output factor of a car be increased?

Yes, the power output factor of a car can be increased through various modifications, such as engine tuning, adding performance parts, and improving the car's overall efficiency. However, it is important to note that these modifications may also impact the car's reliability and fuel efficiency.