How does Compton scattering suggest photons?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences and similarities between the photoelectric effect and the Compton effect. It is noted that while the photoelectric effect shows the particle nature of light, the Compton effect confirms it through scattering. The conversation also addresses the question of why the Compton effect occurs in bound electrons and why the excess energy does not go to the KE of the electron. It is explained that the probabilities of these interactions depend on the photon energy and the target material, and are described using a quantity called the "cross section." This provides a particle description of the Compton effect, but it is suggested that a wave description can also be made.
kini.Amith
I have seen many 'photoelectric effect vs compton effect' Questions in this and other forums, but i am still not convinced. I can see how photoelectric effect points to the particle nature of light. But i don't see how compton effect as a separate experiment is needed to confirm this. The only difference i see is that in PE, the energy of the photon is completely absorbed by the e, while in CE the photon is scattered with some energy remaining. So aren't the CE and PE two particular cases of the same phenomenon? And why does one occur in bound electrons and the other in free electrons. I have also read that CE occurs in bound electrons when the energy of incident radiation is high. why doesn't the excess energy go to the KE of electron instead of getting scattered as a photon?

Physics news on Phys.org
The description you have been presented is likely a particle description.
Try making a wave description of Compton effect.

You need some experiment besides PE because there is a semi-classical model that does the same thing.
With PE, the incident photon ejects an electron - in CE the electron is not ejected.
The energy lost by the photon does go to KE in the electron.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/comptint.html

Simon Bridge said:
The energy lost by the photon does go to KE in the electron.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/comptint.html

I understand that. what i meant to ask was why doesn't the entire energy go to the KE of the electron to give photoelectric effect alone. in other words, why does compton effect have to occur in bound electrons?

Because the label "Compton scattering" only applies to the situation where it doesn't.
There are other processes where it does - i.e. atomic excitation, and atomic ionization.

If you think of it as a collision, there is no reason that all the energy of the incoming particle should be transferred to the other one.

kini.Amith said:
why doesn't the entire energy go to the KE of the electron to give photoelectric effect alone. in other words, why does compton effect have to occur in bound electrons?

In general, a photon can interact either way, with certain probabilities. That is, if you send a beam of photons, each with the same energy, towards a target, some of them will undergo the photoelectric effect and some of them will undergo Compton scattering. And some of them will undergo electron-positron pair production, if the energy is high enough.

The probabilities vary with photon energy and the target material. We usually describe them using a quantity called the "cross section." See here for example:

http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/GeneralInterest/DBailey/SubAtomic/Lectures/LectF05/Lect05.htm

and scroll down near the bottom of the page to the "Photon Interactions" section.

jtbell said:
The probabilities vary with photon energy and the target material. We usually describe them using a quantity called the "cross section."
Thanks. u answered my question

Related to How does Compton scattering suggest photons?

1. How does Compton scattering occur?

Compton scattering occurs when a photon interacts with an electron, transferring some of its energy to the electron and causing it to recoil. This results in a shift in the wavelength of the scattered photon.

2. Why is Compton scattering important in understanding the nature of light?

Compton scattering provides evidence that light can behave as both a wave and a particle. The shift in wavelength observed in Compton scattering is only possible if light is made up of particles, known as photons.

3. How does Compton scattering suggest that photons have momentum?

In Compton scattering, the change in wavelength of the scattered photon is directly related to the change in momentum of the electron. This suggests that photons also have momentum, even though they have no mass.

4. What is the significance of the Compton wavelength?

The Compton wavelength, which is the distance that a photon can travel before undergoing Compton scattering, is an important value in quantum mechanics. It helps us understand the quantum nature of light and its interactions with matter.

5. How is Compton scattering used in practical applications?

Compton scattering is used in various fields, such as medical imaging, material science, and astronomy. It is an important tool for studying the structure of matter and for obtaining information about the composition of objects in space.