How Does Colored Light Affect Water Temperature?

In summary, the conversation is about conducting an experiment to measure the energy outcome of visible light on water by using a colored frame and a data logger. The experiment would measure the absorption of a specific wavelength of light by the water and the formula C=J/m x change of temp can be used to calculate the energy absorbed. However, it is suggested to use a solid and non-reflective material rather than water for better results.
s0610038
Hey guys, it is possible that to observe the energy outcome of visible light?
By adding colored frame in front of the light source and shined on a beaker with water
Using data logger to record the data, how long should I take the experiment? Thanks for helping

Science news on Phys.org
This experiment would measure how easily a particular wavelength of light is absorbed by the water, not how much energy the photon contains.

By using the specific heat capacity theory.. C=J/m x change of temp
By doing that experiment I have the data if specific heat capacity of water, and the mass of water before I started the experiment.
The change of temperature will be determined by the data logger during the experiment.
Can I obtain the energy by using this formula? Thanks

Yes, I think that would work (assuming no energy is lost as heat to surroundings), and it gives the energy of light absorbed by the water (not total incident light energy)

The problem with your water is that a lot of the light will still pass through it. I would say it would be better to replace it with something solid and non-reflective, OR change your experiment up and do something like the photoelectric experiment.

You can try the experiment, but I doubt you will see much. Why are you expecting water to absorb enough visible light to register a change in temperature?

Related to How Does Colored Light Affect Water Temperature?

What is the energy of visible light?

The energy of visible light refers to the amount of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted or absorbed by objects that are visible to the human eye. It falls within the range of the electromagnetic spectrum between infrared and ultraviolet light.

How is the energy of visible light measured?

The energy of visible light is typically measured in units of joules (J) or electron volts (eV). One joule is equal to the amount of energy required to move an object with a force of one newton over a distance of one meter. One electron volt is the amount of energy gained by an electron when it moves through a potential difference of one volt.

What factors determine the energy of visible light?

The energy of visible light is determined by its wavelength and frequency. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a light wave, while frequency is the number of waves that pass a given point in one second. The longer the wavelength, the lower the energy. The higher the frequency, the higher the energy.

What is the relationship between energy and color in visible light?

The energy of visible light is directly related to the color that we perceive. Red light has the longest wavelength and the lowest energy, while violet light has the shortest wavelength and the highest energy. As the wavelength decreases and the frequency increases, the energy of the light increases and the color shifts from red to violet.

How is the energy of visible light used in everyday life?

The energy of visible light is used in a variety of ways in our daily lives. It is essential for vision, as our eyes are able to detect and process different wavelengths of visible light to create the vibrant colors we see. It is also used in lighting, photography, and various forms of technology such as lasers and solar panels.